University restructures vice presidential duties

University President John T. Casteen III announced plans Thursday to reorganize the top echelons of the University's administration in preparation for development in the coming century.

"President Casteen has been in the long-range process of looking at how the University is structured," University Relations Director Louise Dudley said. "At the end of the Capital Campaign, if the University wants to continue to move forward, Casteen feels organization needs to be strengthened and reorganized."

In the first steps of administrative reorganization, Leonard W. Sandridge, formerly titled executive vice president and chief financial officer, has been charged with the financial oversight of the University Health System.

Though he remains the University's chief financial officer, Sandridge's new title, effective immediately, is executive vice president and chief operating officer.

Before the reorganization, Sandridge was responsible for the day to day operations of the University, he said.

"The change is the [addition of] financial and managerial responsibility for the Health System and the hospital," he added.

Dudley said University administrators hope that Sandridge's financial and administrative expertise will help shield the Medical Center from the economic uncertainties of managed care on teaching hospitals.

"With the rising costs of medicine and modern techniques, as well as the [decline in] reimbursements we get from the government, [Sandridge's experience will work] towards keeping the budget stable," she said.

As part of the reorganization, more senior staff members will be placed under Sandridge.

"Some of the Board of Visitors felt Sandridge did not have enough senior staff at his disposal," Dudley said.

"The Board and president have been very supportive in order to build the organization that will assist me," Sandridge said.

In addition, the University Relations Office, which currently answers to Sandridge, will be placed under Vice President for Development Robert D. Sweeney's domain -- where it originally had existed until 1991.

The transfer will "free up time for Leonard Sandridge," and help unite interdependent departments, Dudley said.

"Now all the planning and fundraising and external relations will be coordinated with Sweeney," Sandridge said.

Within the President's Office, Casteen has announced the creation of a new central planning and assessment unit to shift through development issues following the Capital Campaign.

The reorganization was spurred by a "need for professional support as we implement Virginia 2020 Planning Commission reports," Casteen said.

Virginia 2020 is a program designed to establish goals and prepare the University for the future.

"The committee will try to collect sound data and analysis so that the president can make sound development decisions," Dudley said.

Laurie Kelsh, the president's executive assistant and chief of staff, will organize the new committee.

Sandridge said he expects the other organizational changes to take place shortly after Jan. 1.