Bush defeats McCain, wins GOP primary

COLUMBIA, S.C. - Despite a devastating blow in the New Hampshire primary and waning support in public opinion polls, GOP presidential candidate and Texas Gov. George W. Bush handily defeated Arizona Sen. John McCain in Saturday's South Carolina open primary, reclaiming the coveted front-runner position as both candidates prepare for tomorrow's Michigan and Arizona primaries.

After a record turnout at the polls, Bush received 53 percent of the votes, while McCain received 42 percent. Conservative activist Alan Keyes picked up the remaining 5 percent.

Of the 37 delegates South Carolina will send to the Republican National Convention to be held this August in Philadelphia, Bush won 34 delegates to McCain's three.

• Bush Website
  • "South Carolina was for Bush what New Hampshire was for McCain, the resurrection of a candidate and a tremendous boost," said Larry J. Sabato, professor of government and foreign affairs.

As Bush spoke to the crowd gathered at the Sheraton Hotel in Columbia, he tried to portray himself as the candidate with a "reform agenda" on such issues as better schools, lower taxes and a stronger military - a platform he said he feels better qualifies him for the presidency and the White House.

"This is the victory of a messenger that is a reformer with results," Bush said.

Bush conceded he still would have to fight for votes in Tuesday's Michigan and Arizona primaries. But he seemed optimistic about the future.

"We are going to come roaring out of South Carolina with new energy in this campaign," he said.

Many of the precincts normally opened for voting were closed unexpectedly yesterday, leaving many voters without a polling location. Both McCain and Keyes said they believe this may have hurt their support.

"We're trying to be incredibly accommodating with the precinct problem," Bush Media Coordinator Loretta Campbell said.

Following the New Hampshire defeat, Bush came to South Carolina with new-found energy, intent on swaying the voters of South Carolina to his camp.

"He's a different style of candidate, more open and free wheeling," said Warren Tompkins, southeastern regional chairman of the Republican Party.

The Bush camp needed this victory in South Carolina to restore support and momentum lost after the defeat in New Hampshire.

"It's a good first step that may have a pretty significant impact on the Michigan primary," Tompkins said.

Sabato agrees that South Carolina is an important win in Bush's drive for the presidential nomination.

"It may well be the turning point of the entire nomination process," Sabato said.

McCain also addressed a large crowd Saturday evening at Embassy Suites Convention Center in Charleston. He promised to keep fighting for the nomination during the next primaries and said his loss was not a fatal blow.

"You don't have to win every skirmish to win the war or crusade, and our crusade grew stronger," McCain said.

During his speech, McCain alluded to his feelings on Bush's campaign tactics, which he has criticized as being overly negative.

McCain told voters they would have a clear choice between his message and a "negative message of fear."

McCain also promised to refrain from negative campaigning in other primary states.

"I will keep fighting clean, and I will keep fighting fair," McCain said.

A South Carolina victory was supposed to put McCain one step closer to securing his place as the GOP's frontrunner. But in the wake of defeat he will have to fight even harder for support in Michigan.

While McCain received much of his support from Independents and Democrats, Bush won votes from those who identified themselves as conservatives or members of the religious right. The coveted veterans vote was split almost evenly between the two candidates - despite McCain's status as a former prisoner of war.

Similar to New Hampshire primaries, South Carolina voters concentrated on the candidates' character rather than issues. McCain supporters said they believe their candidate possesses the qualities needed to lead the country.

"It's refreshing to hear the truth and we need that in this country," McCain volunteer Sue Sexton said.

Both candidates now will be concentrating their efforts on the Michigan primary. McCain is expected to carry his home state easily.