Birthday suits on the Lawn

Streaking is such a pervasive part of the University experience that one often wonders if perhaps Jefferson himself didn't make that notorious sprint down the Lawn while Madison or Washington served as lookouts for the cops.

Evidence conflicts as to exactly when the tradition got started - in fact, no one appears to know for certain. Although many claim the tradition of streaking has existed for only a few years, people have been running naked down the Lawn for much longer.

According to fourth-year College student and Lawn resident Gordon Peters, a few years ago streakers would wear nice ties while streaking as though it were a special occasion.

"But I have no idea how [streaking] got started," Peters said.

As a Lawn resident, he has witnessed numerous instances of streaking.

People running naked by Lawn rooms becomes normal with time, he said.

"You get used to it, but people running naked is never a normal thing," he added.

Third-year College student Brevy Cannon recounted the first time he and a friend participated in the hallowed tradition.

"There are all kinds of alcoves and crevices at the Rotunda. We picked a slightly shady spot, took our clothes off, and ran down the Lawn," Cannon said.

The run back was more exhausting than he'd imagined, he said.

He recommended that first-time streakers keep their shoes on.

Streaking "is not as much a novelty as it used to be," said fourth-year College student and Lawn resident Elizabeth Eckstein.

Fourth-year College student and Lawn resident Deborah Popowski said she has seen streakers dash the wrong way before.

According to Popowski, a lot of students from other schools come to the University to streak.

"Three kids from Davidson came up and streaked once," she said.

According to Fourth-year College student and Lawn resident Adam Greene, streakers have flashed their goods for at least the past 10 years.

Now, streaking is much less formalized, and far too methodical, Peters said.

"Streaking needs to be diversified. You can use different techniques [like] diagonal streaking, instead of the usual lateral streaking," Peters said.

Former Pavillion VIII resident Brad Brown, Professor in the School of Commerce, said he had seen people doing what he termed "daylight lateral streaking," or DLS.

"People would run straight across from one Lawn room to another on the other side," he said.

As a practical joke, he and his son Moby took the clothes of some streakers two years ago and hid them behind a column.

Streaking continues to be a steadfast tradition among University students.

"People are having a good time. I don't have any problem with people doing it," said third-year College student Brad Barnett.

Mike Thrift, who lives in Pavilion VIII with his wife, Italian Prof. Cristina Della Coletta, said pervasive streaking does not inhibit their ability to lead a normal family life on the Lawn.

Streaking occurs late at night, "so we don't really know it's happening. We hear about it but we don't see it," Thrift said.

Although the Della Coletta-Thrift family said they hear noises late at night that could be streakers, they said they do not feel offended or threatened by the noises.

The noises can not be attributed directly to people running buck-naked down the Lawn, he said.

"We don't have any stance - we're not going to be out there doing it," but it's the student's prerogative if they choose to do so, he added.

Some first years that have not already streaked said they plan to do so at some time during their time at the University.

"Yes, I definitely want to do it. It's a bonding activity - a tradition that we can all take part in," said first-year College student LaMont Mitchell.

The police, however, are not so magnanimous.

"As police officers, we are sworn to uphold all laws, big and small," said University police sergeant Tom Durrer.

"It's considered a sex crime, and just not worth it," Barnett said.

Evidently, streakings at on-Grounds locations other than the Lawn have happened at least on a few occasions.

One person streaked three different admissions tours presented by Adam Greene at the Old Dorms quad, according to Greene.

In fact, incidents are on the rise in which streakers have flashed by more obscure places, such as Hereford College, a capella concerts and various other venues.

This year at the Rotunda Sing, an unidentified streaker made a mad dash across the top of the Rotunda, inviting laughs and applause from the audience.

Streaking is here to stay, and students are more than willing to ensure the survival of this not-so-mainstream tradition.