Council picks Martini for University committees post

Citing a need for coordininating committee appointments, Student Council changed its bylaws to create a chairman for University committees.

Council recently appointed third-year Commerce student Katherine Martini to the position, and she will serve for the next 12 months. Martini is also a columnist for The Cavalier Daily.

In the new position, Martini will filter through applications for student positions on University committees. University committees are those comprised of students, faculty and staff.

The Council bylaws state, "University committees include but are not limited to those advisory, personnel search, and policy-making bodies charged by the President, Vice Presidents, deans, faculty members, and administrators that have seats designated for student members."

There are two types of University committees: policy-making and fact-finding. Members of the committees advise University President John T. Casteen III and others on serious matters, said Abby Fifer, Council chief of staff and president-elect.

The applications for nominations to the University committees became available yesterday. They are due April 23.

Martini said she will make appointments shortly afterward.

Fifer said Martini was chosen from a pool of applicants.

Martini served on the University Security and General Safety Committee for three years. She also has served as chairwoman of the Council Housing Affairs Committee and has been a member of the Council Safety Committee.

"Her experience with Council and the University administration in general will make her an outstanding coordinator and will help to define this position for the future," Fifer said.

Council passed the bylaw change March 20. Martini was approved for the position April 3.

Her duties include recruiting students from as wide a pool as possible to serve on University committees, said Council President Joe Bilby. She will act as a liaison between Council and the committees after she makes nominations for student committee members.

"We've had trouble in the past few years maintaining contact with these students," Bilby said. "Our aim is to make better use of these appointments."

Martini will recommend student appointments to Casteen, Leonard W. Sandridge Jr., executive vice president and chief operating officer, and Vice President for Student Affairs William W. Harmon. The administrators then will make appointments.