Reflecting on motives leads to higher quality paper

THIS is my last column as The Cavalier Daily's ombudsman. It has been an honor and a privilege to be given free rein to critique this paper for a year - in public, at that. The staff has been gracious in accepting criticism, and the readers have been responsive in addressing perceived problems.

The staff of this paper is hardworking, conscientious and generally professional in their journalistic approach, and frankly, it made my job difficult. There were few obvious ethical lapses, generally even-handed reporting and primarily consistent practices.

Often lost on this paper's critics in the community is how difficult it is to put out a daily newspaper when your staff consists of full-time students. I was sometimes shocked by the ignorant, belligerent and personal attacks against a reporter or columnist that would be e-mailed to me. As I criticized the opinion writers for failing to construct a logical or reasonable argument, or for ad hominem attacks, I often wish I had a similar forum for people who wrote letters of complaint. The reporters and columnists deserve better than to receive letters that are merely the repositories for the personal anger of some fellow student or faculty member.

There were some areas which consistently needed improvement, and need improvement still. The comics page leaps to mind. Consistent repeats, strips of poor quality and a puerile confusion between that which is shocking and that which is humorous were all problems which went unresolved.

All told, however, the paper consistently impressed me with its high quality, particularly given its resources. The Cavalier Daily doesn't have the available assets of a New York Times or Washington Post, but it does an excellent job with the resources it has. Their on-site presidential election coverage was a testament to their tenacity and dedication.

So, given the good job this paper has done, I don't wish to spend my last column picking apart flaws, but instead to ask the staff, and particularly the reporters, for a small favor. I would ask that they take occasions throughout the year to stop and reflect on what journalism is, why it matters and why they are involved with journalism.

When you are a full-time student, and you give up your nights for The Cavalier Daily, it is easy to be over-extended, and to just go through the motions so that the paper can roll. For reporters, this often results in a story that is mechanical and dead. This is bound to happen, and it happens at The New York Times and The Washington Post, too. When you find yourselves just going through the motions, then this is the time to pull back and think about what it is you are doing. My perspective on what you are doing follows.

Journalism is a calling, not a business (publishing is a business, and a lousy one at that). In addition, journalism is a public trust. Journalists provide information of public importance in a timely and unbiased fashion. Journalists ask difficult questions to people in power, those people whose actions affect the lives of readers and those persons who themselves hold a public trust - like the government. Journalists expose corruption, deceit and malfeasance in the public square. In short, journalists abide by the rule of Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, who said, "Sunshine is the best disinfectant."

These may seem like mere platitudes, or hoary old cliches, but I assure you that if they do, you might want to find something else to do to pad your resume. Leave The Cavalier Daily to the journalists.

This doesn't mean that every news story needs to be some Woodward-and-Bernstein-esque expose of corruption - there is also room for entertaining information, book and movie reviews and other aspects of modern newspapers which are not strictly news. The core of a newspaper, however, is still journalistic reporting. Lose the journalism aspect of a newspaper, and what do you have? - tabloids and chatter.

Journalists have served a critical function here in our society. Newspapers, in particular, have defended the right of the public to know about those matters of public business which affect us all. Journalists have been in the thick of the battle to protect the free and open flow of ideas, opinions and information. If information is power, then a newspaper is a power plant.

As a result of journalism's role, journalists pay a price. They are often actively disliked by those in power, and distrusted by others. They must place themselves on the sidelines of history - never free to participate, for fear of influencing the direction of the developing story. As a friend of mine, a former journalist, once put it, she was always writing about interesting people, and never getting to be one. These are just some of the costs of the calling.

To sum up my hopes for The Cavalier Daily staff, let me say this. You are the latest generation of many who came before you, and who fought to have access to University business and information, so that the institution you know as The Cavalier Daily could exist. Yet, this venerable institution, now some 111 years old, is still as fragile as a newborn. Fail to take your duties seriously, and you will find your voices discounted and marginalized. You've worked too damn hard for that to happen. Do your jobs, serve the community and answer this calling while you are here, even if you never practice journalism again. Be proud of what you do and take pride in your work, for you have good reason to do so.

(Brent Garland can be reached at ombuds@cavalierdaily.com.)