Organizations search for new venues

The Inter-Fraternity Council resolution limiting house rentals to other Greek organizations has left groups on Grounds scrambling to find other venues for this semester's social events.

Many Contracted Independent Organizations, businesses and other on-Grounds independent organizations use fraternity houses several times a semester. With the new regulations, however, groups are trying to find new places to hold their parties.

"We are trying to work with some organizations on Grounds to get use buildings like the Student Activities Building and Newcomb," Black Caesar member Chris Wardlaw said. The Black Caesar is a student organization that throws parties on Grounds. It usually rents out fraternity houses for its parties.

Currently, the SAB and Newcomb buildings close to the public after midnight.

Wardlaw said these closing times prevent the venues from being viable options for social events. Since people usually do not attend parties until late at night, the early closing times may affect attendance.

"You lose money and don't get as big a crowd as you wish you had," Wardlaw said.

Organizations such as the University Guide Service also are left out in the cold with the new resolution.

"We rent out fraternity houses about three or four times a semester," University Guide Social Chair Megan Mattingly said. But Mattingly said she knows why the IFC decided to change their policies.

"It comes down to liability issues," she said. "We too have been trying to come to terms with how we want to deal with our own liability as well."

In the meantime, Mattingly said she is looking into renting third-party venues such as the Crew House, the Glee Club house, or the old Fiji fraternity house.

Besides renting out non-Greek houses, many organizations have the option of renting out local bars to hold their social events. While this may prevent many underage individuals from attending social functions, it may become a viable option for those organizations still wishing to hold parties.

Groups that rent out the Outback Lodge for example have several options for social functions. They can opt to have a cash bar, where group members rent out the space, but still have to pay for drinks. For another option - the open bar - groups can rent out the bar and also prepay for the drinks.

According to Mike Lane, manager of Outback Lodge, he rents out around 40 to 50 times a year.