Odds and Ends

You may have been tricked. You may have been bribed. You may even have been threatened or physically forced. But no matter what, 10 years ago, you likely didn't go to the doctor's office to receive your yearly shots willingly.

Yesterday, though, University students waited in long lines, poured over tedious medical information, and even paid money in the name of getting poked.

From 11 a.m until 8 p.m. in the Newcomb Hall Ballroom, students took it upon themselves to receive meningitis and influenza vaccinations.

"I just wanted them so that I wouldn't get sick," said Tracy Huppert, a first-year College student. "I live in a dorm and I feel like there is more of a threat with such close quarters."

"If you get the flu while you are here, you are going to miss so much, so I decided to go ahead and get the shot," said first-year College student Maggie Horton.

Andrew Leahey, who is also a first-year College student, agrees that the shot is worth the time and the money.

"All in all, it's worth it. It's cheaper than all of the drugs that you would have to buy, if you got sick," he said.

Many students said while it may have been their decision to get the shot, it should be their parents' responsibility to foot the bill.

"It was more of my own choice, but my parents are paying for it," said Elizabeth Wilmer, a third-year College student.

Still, some students seem to be in need of a little gentle persuasion.

"My mom mandated that I get this shot," fourth-year Engineering student Zach Buckner said.

While first-year Darden student, Andrew Krause, opted not to get the flu shot, he says he also was sort of forced into getting the meningitis vaccination.

"I actually tried to get out of line before I got the shot, but they strongly encouraged me to do it. It seems like a nasty disease," Krause said.

One of the nurses administering the vaccination, Bonnie McCormick, explained that it is important for students to get the shots not only because they live in such close quarters, but because their immune systems tend to be weak from stress and lack of sleep.

McCormick said despite the cost of the shots, more students are willing to get the vaccinations on Grounds than are willing to go out to the doctor on their own to receive them.

"It's convenient and we get them in and out, so it's not too much trouble," McCormick said.

So for students paying the price, is it really worth it?

First-year College student Katie Slusser answered with hesitation.

"As long as I don't get sick, it is," she says. "But if I get the flu, I'm going to be pissed"