Victory over Duke displays team effort on senior night with defense down the stretch

As the Virginia men's basketball team headed into last night's game against No. 3 Duke, everyone knew that the writing was on the wall. The team's three-game losing streak seemed destined to become four. There would be no partying on senior night for Jason Dowling, Adam Hall and Chris Williams.

The Cavaliers, however, had different ideas.

They were banged down low by Boozer, juked by Jason, dunked on by Dunleavy, but they hung together as a team to upset Duke at University Hall for the second straight season.

All five Virginia starters scored double-digit point totals, but the biggest story was the team's defense. Energized by a reinvigorated Hall, the Cavaliers rediscovered the swarming team defense that keyed last year's success to hold the Blue Devils to seven points in the last seven minutes.

In those seven minutes, Virginia's full court press forced three bad passes and two steals. In those seven minutes, the Cavaliers went on a 21-7 run. In those seven minutes, the Cavaliers played like a team for the first time since they lost to Maryland on Jan. 31.

Every single Virginia player knew what the pundits and naysayers were predicting. They had to come together as a team to prove them wrong.

Last night, no one player dominated like Carlos Boozer did for Duke. No one player came up with that one big play to win the game. No one player had to.

The Cavaliers played like the athletic team with interchangeable parts that they were meant to be. When Travis Watson fouled out with three minutes left to play, Williams stepped in - despite being an inch shorter and 39 pounds lighter. When Jason Clark fouled out with 27 ticks on the clock, Hall stepped up despite needing medication to combat his aching, cramping body.

"It wasn't one kid's character," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "It was the character of the team."

Indeed, the Cavaliers finally displayed the character that they will need to obtain NCAA tournament success. Beating the Blue Devils is a good start, but it still is just a start. A win at Maryland tomorrow or a deep run into the ACC tournament should secure at least a spot in the Big Dance.

But Hall and Williams must be congratulated for inspiring Virginia to play with a never-say-die attitude last night. Both were determined to make their last home game a memorable one. It was senior night, after all.

Needless to say, they did not disappoint. Williams clinched the win by stripping Jason Williams of the ball with 5.5 seconds left to play. Hall played the game of his life and ended up sprawled on a locker room couch after the game, IV needle in his right arm, ice packs taped to his feet.

So Williams, Dowling and Hall, thank you for the last game of your Cavalier careers at home. Thank you for the most memorable game in the Pete Gillen era. Thank you for renewing the Cavaliers' NCAA hopes.

You did not fold when everyone thought you would. You did not stop believing that lightning could strike twice. You did not go gentle into that good night.