Sports in Brief

Women's club tennis remains undefeated

The women's club tennis team continued its undefeated streak this Saturday with a win against Navy at home, 8-2. Third years Courtenay Evans, Lauren Dickey, Jessica Rackley and Jackie Culver, second years Shoa Tassavoli and Maria Cristina Murguruza, and first-= years Jamie Zakkak, Leigh Shoettinger and Mallori Browne all had wins to help defeat the Midshipmen.

Next weekend on both Saturday and Sunday, the team is hosting its annual Parents' Weekend Tournament. All students and their parents are welcome to play, and prizes will be awarded courtesy of local businesses.

Men's club soccer wins first regional title to earn bid to nationals

The University men's club soccer team, ranked No. 6 nationally, brought home the first regional title in its history on Sunday, defeating No. 3 Florida 4-0 in the championship game of this year's regional tournament in Columbus, Ga.In first round action, U.Va. defeated College of Charleston 4-0, JMU 6-1 and Florida State 4-1.

Third years Patrick Selph and Chris Pohl led the team in scoring with three goals apiece, while fourth year Ilan Kaufer and third years John Harris and Chip Connell each had two goals. Goalkeeper Chris Dehenzel earned MVP honors with two shutouts.

The Georgia tournament also qualifies the team for the championship bracket at the national tournament in November. This is the first time the team has qualified for the top tier bracket at nationals.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton