Officials respond to Staff Union allegations

University administrators said yesterday that they have responded to allegations that an employee who holds a managerial position at the University Medical Center used a racial epithet in a conversation at a staff meeting Nov. 10.

Administrators undertook appropriate action and discussed the incident with the accused staff member, University spokesperson Carol Wood said.

The manager allegedly said the word "nigger" in a conversation unrelated to work affairs prior to the start of a meeting with subordinate employees, said Elizabeth Coles, a Medical Center employee and hospital recruiter for the Staff Union at the University of Virginia.

The University immediately launched an investigation and concluded that, "based on the reports from those who heard what was actually said, the comment was inappropriate, but not meant to be derogatory or racist in character or context," Wood said yesterday in a statement.

"It is always our expectation that staff members demonstrate in words and actions the utmost respect for each other and those we serve, and that they be attentive not only to what is actually said or meant, but also to how it might be understood or heard," Wood said. "Thus, follow-up with the employee has been undertaken."

Privacy issues legally prevent discussion of further details or specific disciplinary action, Wood said.

Because of dissatisfaction with the University's response to the incident, the Staff Union has organized a hospital picketing scheduled to take place at noon on Friday, Coles said.

The picket line will incorporate students and members of the University and Charlottesville communities.

"I really hope that the administration will take notice of this incident and will pursue some punitive path against the manager who said this," said Nick Johnson, a third-year Engineering student and University Medical Center employee who plans to attend the rally. "The Union is furious that a manager can get away with saying something like this and receive no punishment -- a reprimand would be a light punishment for this kind of thing."

Although the comment was not directed toward specific persons, it offended some staff members who attended the meeting, Coles said.

Although she was not present at the meeting herself, upon hearing rumors circulating about the incident she discussed it with a staff member who had attended the meeting.

Coles said she asked the employee why he did not protest what his supervisor said.

"His answer was that it wasn't directed at him, but the word 'nigger' shouldn't come up in any conversation at any time," she said.

Both Coles and Staff Union President Jan Cornell, a former University employee, e-mailed Leonard Sandridge, University executive vice president and chief operating officer, to request that the University administration investigate the incident.

Cornell said Sandridge responded to her e-mail the next day and informed her that the University was investigating the allegation.

The Staff Union is calling on University administrators to undertake strong disciplinary action, Cornell said.

"I think a slap on the wrist is not enough," she said. "I think there needs to be some kind of suspension or termination. I hate to see anybody lose their job, but this is kind of serious."