Cavs ready for Tar Heels, national spotlight

The Virginia Cavaliers (2-5, 1-2 ACC) will attempt to rebound after a close 28-26 loss to Maryland last Saturday as they face the North Carolina Tar Heels (1-5, 0-3 ACC) tonight at 7:30 in Scott Stadium.

Both teams are struggling mightily to find wins this season, as the Cavaliers come into the game having lost two straight and four of their last five, and the Tar Heels come into the game having lost three straight. North Carolina's only win this season came in a 45-42 shoot out with I-AA Furman. However, they have yet to play winless Duke, whom Virginia slaughtered 37-0 earlier this season.

History is on the side of the Cavaliers. North Carolina has not won in Charlottesville since 1981. Maryland had not won at Virginia since 1990 before their win last Saturday. The Cavaliers hope to keep their winning streak alive this time against the Tar Heels.

The meeting between the teams in Charlottesville in 2004 saw Virginia win handily, 56-24. Last year's matchup at Chapel Hill was a drastically different type of game, as both teams struggled to put points up on the scoreboard. The game ended with a baseball-like score and a Tar Heel win, 7-5.

Virginia coach Al Groh expressed concern over the North Carolina defensive scheme that stymied the Cavalier offense last year.

"The biggest issue for us with our offense against their defense is that the last time we faced this scheme, we weren't very productive against it," Groh said. "So we certainly face some challenges from that standpoint."

To win, Virginia will have to once again get off to a quick start like they did against Maryland. Holding on to the lead will be the next step, a step that was not achieved against Maryland. One key for a quick start will be the running game, which has showed signs of improvement over the past few games. Virginia's running game is still ranked 10th in the ACC at 92 yards per game, but Virginia was able to rack up 181 yards against Maryland, the highest total all season. Redshirt freshman quarterback Jameel Sewell gained 92 of those yards, and senior running back Jason Snelling picked 81 yards on the ground.

Groh mentioned that more communication among the offensive line has improved the running game.

"There really wasn't a lot of talk amongst the line early on in the season," Groh said. "Branden [Albert] is starting to be amongst those who are pointing things out and having a little bit more to say."

Albert, a sophomore left guard, described the gelling process of the offensive line as a key to the improved running game.

"It takes time to gel as an offensive line, and now we're starting to gel pretty well," Albert said. "We're playing a lot better as a unit. We're communicating a lot more. Communication on the offensive line is a key thing."

The Cavaliers have averaged 146.7 yards on the ground over their last three games. In contrast, they averaged 51 yards on the ground in their first four games this season.

The Virginia-North Carolina football game, known as "the South's oldest rivalry" (tonight marks the 111th meeting) will be televised nationally on ESPN.