Libero position has provided stability

After two big wins over the weekend against Georgia Tech and Clemson, the Cavalier volleyball team finds itself sitting in fourth place in the ACC at 8-4 in the conference and 15-6 overall.

Virginia coach Melissa Shelton has attributed some of their success this year to the skilled playing at the libero position, shared this year by junior Melissa Caldwell and sophomore Beth Shelton.

According to Melissa Shelton, the two have shared the position this season mainly because of injuries suffered by Caldwell.

Caldwell "sprained her ankle before the Virginia Tech game, and she was sick at the Michigan tournament," Shelton said.

Shelton stated that whoever has the better week of practice will play in the games. However, she also said that as long as Caldwell continues to perform well in games and practice, she will keep the spot.

Still, having Beth Shelton ready to step up and play the libero has provided a lift for the team.

"We're lucky to have Beth willing and eager to take the spot," Shelton said.

Caldwell talked about switching at libero this year with Beth Shelton on a very positive note.

"We were just trying to figure out the chemistry of the team," Caldwell said. "It's been a good transition and we've both learned different things doing it."

So what exactly is the libero? Well, if you've ever been to a volleyball game, it's the player who wears the different-colored jersey. Shelton said this color difference is mostly for time purposes.

"The referee can easily identify the libero, and it causes no delays in substitutions," Shelton said.

The Web site chattanoogan.com says that the libero position has been used in international, club and college volleyball since 2002 and is slowly making its way into high school volleyball.

"The libero was made to increase rallies and is used mostly as a defensive position," Shelton said. "It can only play across the back row."

There are many different skills required to be a successful libero.

"First, the libero should be a good passer," Shelton said. "Second, the libero needs to have good defensive skills. And then, the libero should be quick, athletic, and consistent."

So far throughout the season Caldwell and Beth Shelton have exemplified these qualities.

"Melissa is the better passer," Shelton said. "She is always one of the top two passers for our games. That's a huge advantage for us. Beth is usually a top passer, but our best defensive player."

Chattanooga.com lists many rules for the libero in addition to only being allowed to play on the back row: It can't serve, it isn't limited in the number of times it can enter and leave the game, it doesn't count against the substitution total for the team and it doesn't have to report to the referee for substituting as the other positions do.

The team has benefited this season from the play of Caldwell and Beth Shelton at the libero. The team hopes their good playing will continue as Virginia takes on North Carolina at Chapel Hill Friday.