Defending Sustained Dialogue

Monday's Opinion section contained a column by Ryan McElveen and Patrick Lee concerning Sustained Dialogue (Debunking De-Stereotype Day," Apr. 23). Constructive criticism should always be encouraged, and I commend them for sharing their thoughts on the issue of diversity, specifically as it pertains to SD. However, I also find it necessary to correct some rather egregious errors.

McElveen and Lee state that "Sustained Dialogue teaches participants that dialogue about present-day racial construction is more beneficial than learning about historical inequities." That is simply false. SD has never and will never discourage dialogue about the historical constructions of race. Race theory is certainly not taboo within dialogues, and as a moderator, I can think of several occasions when race theory was in fact discussed at length. However, it is correct that "personal, emotional dialogue" is promoted. Just as someone can hide behind personal experience to justify prejudice, the same can be said for intellectualism.

SD's mission is to provide students with an opportunity to engage others in dialogues that foster inter-personal understanding and personal reflection. We want people not only to talk, but then go a step further and form relationships with people that they may not have otherwise.

We do not claim that by being involved in SD, people will suddenly become blind to race. McElveen and Lee say that they are tired of "confronting Sustained Dialogue graduates who claim they 'don't see race' and don't feel it necessary to continue to confront institutionalized wrongs." I find it hard to believe that they have met anyone involved in SD who would admit to that mantra, but if so, I apologize. In those specific cases, then SD has failed, because SD would certainly not want anyone walking away from their experience claiming that. Race may be a construction, but is also a reality that we all must face each and every day. SD as an organization recognizes that, and has always been our goal to help others to recognize this as well.

In no way does anyone in Sustained Dialogue think that our efforts will end the disparities or injustices that are part of this institution or society itself. That is not our goal, and if it was, we would be deluding ourselves. Instead, we claim that there is much we can learn from one another, and through building relationships, we can all move a little closer to working together to confront larger issues.

Veronica Brooks

CLAS IV

Moderator, Sustained Dialogue