Searching for library solutions

WHEN THOMAS Jefferson designed the University, he placed a library at the very center. This symbolic move demonstrates the important place libraries have to the University as a whole. Libraries at the University provide students with great tools to do research and provide a relaxing atmosphere that is conducive to studying and socializing.

However, individuals who use the various libraries on Grounds still face a problem that often complicates the otherwise superb experience. Trying to find books from the shelves or stacks of libraries is often a difficult and time consuming task that frustrates many students. This problem is not necessarily anyone's fault, but it is rather a natural complication that arises when over five million books have to be stored and catalogued. Three possible solutions to this problem that the libraries could implement include putting up better external signs on the stacks themselves, giving more detailed directions on how to find books through VIRGO and having library employees retrieve books for students. Moreover, students can also take a more active role in reaching out to library employees to better educate themselves on how to find books more efficiently.

Most people do not have problems finding a call number for books using VIRGO, the University's online catalogue system. Still, many students complain that the call numbers provided are overly complicated and do not provide adequate information to find books in a quick and efficient manner. Some of the external numbering systems listed on the shelves or stacks themselves do not provide adequate direction to those trying to find a book. This forces students, in some instances, to spend large amounts of time searching for books. The process of physically finding a book seems overly complicated and confusing, especially to students who only search for books occasionally.

There are several steps the libraries on Grounds can do to help students find books. The simplest solution that would not require much major change would be to put up more clearly defined signs outside of shelves and stacks to help guide students. For example, many of these external guides in Clemons library are made from paper and some of these signs fall down periodically, causing problems for those who are trying to find books in those sections. This simple step of putting up better signs will greatly help students in their quest to find books.

Another solution to this problem would be to give students better direction on where to find books when searching for a book on VIRGO. Instead of VIRGO simply providing a call number that forces students to search for the books they want, it could provide students with a map of where there book is inside of a library. VIRGO could also give students an idea of where books are on the stacks themselves. So for example, VIRGO would tell students the book they are looking for is on Clemons first floor and would show which specific stack it is on in relation to other stacks. After that, VIRGO could tell students the book is in the middle of a specific stack and on the second shelf. This information would help students in their search and shorten the time spent looking for books.

Another solution the libraries could implement is to give students the option of requesting a book online and then having a library employee retrieve the book. Under this system, a student can pick up the book they requested the next day at the front desk without having to search for the book themselves. This system would save time for students and would allow someone who is more familiar with the library cataloguing system to find the books. However, there probably should be a limit of the amount of books that can be requested by a student over a period of time to prevent misuse.

Although the libraries should probably improve the cataloguing system, students also have their role to play in the process. No matter how efficient a system is, it will not work unless students know how to use it. Library staff are very friendly and are more than happy to provide students with tips and assistance in finding books according to Director of Communications and Publications for University of Virginia libraries Charlotte Morford. So in order to have a better experience finding books, students should try to better educate themselves on how to use the many resources available at the libraries.

Any one of these solutions would greatly help students find books more efficiently. The libraries on Grounds should look into implementing some sort of change in order to better serve students. However, students should also take an active role in trying to improve the system by getting help when they need it and generally trying to educate themselves more about the workings of their libraries.

Sam Shirazi's column usually appears Fridays in The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at sshirazi@cavalierdaily.com.