ACC schedule continues in Florida

Cavaliers hit road to head down south to face Florida, Miami in doubleheader

The Virginia women's tennis team will get into the heart of its ACC schedule when it heads down to Florida this weekend for a doubleheader against Florida State and Miami, the highest ranked teams Virginia has played thus far.

The Cavaliers enter the weekend after winning seven of their last eight matches, including a 5-2 win Sunday against Virginia Tech - a victory that was much closer than the score may seem to indicate.

"There were definitely some points during that match, even in the singles, where it looked like it could of turned the other way," sophomore Emily Fraser said. "But we stayed tough and on the courts when we needed to get it done; even when it was close, we were able to get it done."

Miami and Florida State represent the Cavaliers' toughest challenge all season - Miami is ranked No. 11 in the nation, and Florida State is ranked No. 17. Both teams have three players apiece ranked in the top 110.

But the Cavaliers are optimistic about their chances. What is essential to their success, the players say, is coming out strong and setting the tone for the match.

"When we do take that doubles point, it definitely creates a lot more momentum for the singles," Fraser said. "The times that we have lost the doubles point this year, we have actually lost the match. So if we can come out strong there, I think it shows good things for the rest of the match."

Given the significance of the doubles matches, the Virginia squad is confident it has the ability to keep up with the high-powered squads from Florida.

"Doubles, I think we're as good or better, and we've proven that," Virginia coach Mark Guilbeau said. "Our records are very good. We've done a really good job at [No.] 1 and 2 doubles, so I think that puts a lot of pressure on both of those teams right away."

That does not mean, however, that the Cavaliers are not keeping realistic perspectives heading into the weekend against two top-20 teams.

"The expectation is to go there with the intention to win, and play so that you're in a position to win," Guilbeau said. "You know, maybe our best is or isn't good enough, but I want us to have our best out there, and I think the kids are really determined."

This sense of determination, in conjunction with the amount of preparation the Cavaliers are investing, also helps Guilbeau believe the team will perform well.

"I know our team is preparing, they're listening to the little details, the little strengths and weaknesses that we're scouting and preparing ahead on, and that's all you can ask as a coach," Guilbeau said. "I think we're going to get up there, have a great attitude, fight really hard and hopefully really accelerate our season this weekend."

Play will begin this afternoon against Florida State and continue Sunday morning against Miami.