Senior sprinters lead indoor track team

Lavender, Hazzard headline key returners

Somewhere within the concrete maze of University Hall, Virginia track and field athletes congregate inside what they refer to as “The Cage.” Here, they prepare for their opening invitational at Virginia Tech Friday and Saturday.

Though it looks like an outdated warehouse, The Cage is filled with lively athletes. Shot puts thud in one corner, and midair pole-vaulters throw their bodies in another. Meanwhile, sprinters stretch out in lanes, which span diagonally across the rubber floor.

Virginia coach Bryan Fetzer greets each team member with a wide grin and a pat on the back.

“Like most of the teams here, we are striving to make that transition from good to great,” Fetzer said. “So it’s been awesome to see the soccer and basketball programs compete at such a high level. Their drive is contagious.”

Fetzer said he rests assured his team has overcome a significant hurdle for track and field programs alike, which demands unity and stability.

“When I first got here, I found the hardest thing we faced was the separation within our program, specifically between the men and women teams,” Fetzer said. “Since then, I think we’ve made strides to bring everyone together.”

In The Cage, no athlete is alone since everyone works in a small group. Sophomore thrower Filip Mihaljevic trains with assistant coach Martin Maric and the former Florida Gator and NCAA champion in the event.

A group of pole vaulters discuss technique with assistant coach Mario Wilson beside the pit. And two seniors lead fellow sprinters on a jog down the diagonal lanes. As Fetzer readily admits, team leadership begins with two athletes: Jordan Lavender and Payton Hazzard.

Lavender, an ACC champion in the 400-meter dash last season, goes about her business with humility and purpose. She does not allow personal expectation to individualize her sport or increase her own anxiety.

“It’s easy to get caught up in ‘extras’ and to feel the pressure of expectation,” Lavender said. “But I don’t let that stuff get to me. Improving my technique [and] progressing as a runner has always been my focus.”

Lavender embraces being a senior and takes advantage of leadership opportunities that come along with that title. Bonding on lengthy bus rides with her younger teammates is something she already looks forward to.

“It’s definitely different being a fourth year and having those first years who look up to you,” Lavender said. “Now, I get to teach them how to talk the talk and walk the walk, which is great.”

Having strolled into The Cage a little late, Hazzard loosens up before co-leading the group of runners with Lavender. He stares at his white lane with a single focus.

“I want to be an ACC champion, and I know I can do it,” Hazzard said. “My times are faster and my body is stronger. Maybe I just need to lean a little harder at the finish [chuckling].”

Hazzard has been busy in the last year or so, but constant practice is what fosters greatness his coach said.

“There is never an offseason for the best,” Fetzer said.

Last summer, Hazzard represented Grenada at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. Even as an All-ACC and All-American track and field athlete, he could not help but feel humbled by the experience.

“Going in, I didn’t really know what to expect,” Hazzard said. “Now, I can say it was the best two weeks of my life. To be able to compete on an international level — that was special. I kept saying to myself, ‘Wow, this is why we put in all the hard work.’”

Hazzard and Lavender are not the only leaders or talents within the program. Fetzer spouted off name after name of athletes he felt had developed in his time at Virginia.

The Cavalier track and field team begins this new year with excitement. Fetzer believes the program is being molded precisely as he desired since his first day on Grounds — into one that is unified, motivated and talented.

“We all know that youth doesn’t win championships, but it does bring more energy to a team,” Fetzer said. “And when you have veterans to compliment those freshman, you feel really good about where you can go.”

The Cavaliers open their 2015 indoor season with a short trip to Blacksburg for the Virginia Tech Invitational. They will compete in events Friday starting at 5 p.m. and Saturday starting at 11 a.m.