The Neighbourhood explores new sounds in sophomore album

“Wiped Out!” follows up well, but falters along the way

Frontman Jesse Rutherford sings “Something is wrong, I can’t explain,” in the opening song of “Wiped Out!” — the new album released by California band The Neighbourhood.

The line is indicative of the quality of the band’s album: it’s a solid sophomore record for the alt-rock group, but somehow can’t quite match the catchy, moody tracks that made the band’s first album, “I Love You,” such a success.

“Wiped Out!” is not a disappointing album. Many fans of The Neighbourhood will be satisfied by the dark intensity of lead single “R.I.P 2 My Youth,” and by the contemplations of tracks like “The Beach” and “Prey.” The band follows successful techniques in these tracks that popularized songs such as “Sweater Weather.” They create a mysterious sound with Rutherford’s vocals backed by bass guitarist Mikey Margott.

“Daddy Issues” and “Baby Came Home 2 / Valentines,” explore a new emotional depth, detailing Rutherford’s personal relationships with his father and an ex-girlfriend. The tracks are much more personal and emotional than other productions.

As the title track, “Wiped Out!” is aptly named — it conveys a relatable sense of self-doubt and anxiety regarding the responsibilities of adult life.

Between these strong tracks are several songs that don’t seem to fit into the album, however. The band seems to be testing the waters with some changes to their sound, and unsurprisingly, it’s hit-or-miss. Some instrumentals drag unnecessarily, and songs like “Ferrari” and “Single” just don’t find their mark.

Despite an excellent first album, The Neighbourhood is still finding its groove. “Wiped Out!” proves they continue to deliver music that fans love, but also explore new sounds.