The Black Monologues will put on encore performances this weekend

First show brought Helms theater to maximum capacity

<p>Students performed "The Black Monologues" at U.Va.'s Helms Theatre last weekend to the enthusiasm of a packed house.</p>

Students performed "The Black Monologues" at U.Va.'s Helms Theatre last weekend to the enthusiasm of a packed house.

The Black Monologues cast and crew will put on three encore performances this Thursday, Friday and Saturday after requests from patrons unable to attend during the original showings last weekend.

Met with unanticipated demand, the show’s premiere performances completely sold out and brought Helms theater to maximum capacity.

In an announcement on facebook about the encore performances, Marketing Chair Christine Magume, a second-year College student said the group was moved by the huge community showing and hoped to see continued support.

“Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for caring so much about our production,” Magume said on facebook. “These encore performances wouldn’t have been possible without y’all’s support. We hope to see many of you this weekend.”

The Black Monologues is a theater production intended to show the “diversity and complexity in Blackness at U.Va. and beyond,” according to an advertisement for the event.

You can read a review of last weekend’s performance in our Arts & Entertainment section.