Non-Conference Report Card: Men’s basketball receives passing grade

<p>Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, who is shooting 41.2 percent from three, has been the steady hand that leads Virginia's potent offense.</p>

Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, who is shooting 41.2 percent from three, has been the steady hand that leads Virginia's potent offense.

Although No. 5 Virginia’s final non-conference game against Oakland Dec. 30 will be no cakewalk – the Golden Grizzlies took No. 1 Michigan State to overtime Dec. 22, as ESPN made Cavalier fans well aware – coach Tony Bennett now has a good idea of his team after surviving the gauntlet of NCAA tournament-caliber opponents.

After losing the physical and emotional play of guard Justin Anderson and forward Darion Atkins from the 2014-15 squad, this Virginia (10-1) team had to be different. The only question was how the Cavaliers would adapt.

Through 11 games, Virginia’s offense seems to be the answer. Despite a lackluster 4-22 shooting performance in the first half against California, the Cavaliers still rank in No. 2 in KenPom’s offensive efficiency rankings. And although its defensive efficiency has fallen to No. 16 – a far cry from the No. 1 spot it held last season – Bennett’s packline is more than passable.

As Virginia heads into ACC play, its identity as a balanced, efficient team is starting to take form. With the non-conference slate almost complete, the team’s 11 scholarship players, for the most part, should be pleased with their respective performances.

Devon Hall (G, So.)

After redshirting his first year and then playing just 10.6 minutes per game last season, the Virginia Beach native took a backseat in Virginia’s two ACC regular season championships. But after only seeing action in 23 of the team’s 34 games last season, Hall has been a key contributor for all 11 contests.

The sophomore has averaged 19.5 minutes per contest, and is sixth on the team with 4.9 points per game. He is shooting a respectable 36.4 percent from three.

Hall has played his role well as an efficient offensive option. However, with such a dynamic game around the rim, he could help himself by being more aggressive – he’s only attempted eight free throws this season.

Grade: B

Marial Shayok (G, So.)

Shayok seemed like the best fit to fill Anderson’s void in the starting lineup. After leading the team with 17 points against Long Beach State, his spot seemed all but cemented.

But Shayok, who has started six of 11 games this season, saw his progress derailed by a sprained wrist and later a concussion. He is averaging just 15.7 minutes per game and 4.4 points per game.

The eight-day break between California and Oakland can only help the Canadian. He has shot 40 percent from three this season, and can use his 6-5 frame to his advantage in the lane. Injuries have not helped Shayok, but he should be able to rebound for a productive ACC stretch.

Grade: C+

Mike Tobey (C, Sr.)

Like Atkins the year before, Tobey had aspirations of a breakout senior season. His offseason praise from Bennett gave Virginia fans hope.

But Tobey has been up and down at best through 11 games. He has played in every game, but only started five due to his lack of agility and physicality. Due in some part to facing teams with smaller lineups, he only plays 15.3 minutes per game.

The senior possesses a strong offensive game – he can use his 7-0 frame to post up and hit jumpers. However, it appears Tobey has hit his ceiling as a Cavalier.

Grade: C-

Evan Nolte (F, Sr.)

Despite averaging just 3.1 points per game last season, Nolte drew praise in starting 11 games for the injured Anderson. But this year, the senior has not seen the same consistent minutes.

Nolte’s impact is not measured solely by his offensive impact, but his 2-10 performance from beyond the arc and meager 2.0 points per game cannot be overlooked. He could see time as a steadying presence in some games – like Villanova – but he seems to be either the 10th or 11th man in a nine man rotation.

Grade: C-

Anthony Gill (F, Sr.)

As an All-ACC third team honoree last year, Gill entered the season with high aspirations. To say he has exceeded them would still be an understatement.

With wild hair and all, the former South Carolina transfer is second on the team with 14.5 points per game and leads the Cavaliers by averaging 6.5 rebounds per contest. Furthermore, his free throw shooting has improved to 80 percent.

Gill currently is No. 5 in KenPom’s player of the year rankings due to his efficient offensive and defensive game. As Virginia marches forward into ACC play without a dominant post defender like Atkins or Akil Mitchell the season before, Gill’s play will be increasingly important.

Grade: A

Malcolm Brogdon (G, Sr.)

Like Gill, Brogdon – a former first team All-ACC and second team All-American honoree – has gone above and beyond through the first 11 games. The senior leads the team with 16.5 points per game, including an 83.3 percent clip from the charity stripe and 41.2 percent from beyond the arc.

If anyone has been a model of consistency throughout his Virginia career, it has been Brogdon. Averaging 32.5 minutes per game, he comes in at No. 3 in KenPom’s player of the year rankings.

His biggest contribution this season has been his offensive assertiveness. His late game threes, like those against both California and Villanova, will be expected of him as he hopes to backup his ACC preseason player of the year recognition.

Grade: A

Isaiah Wilkins (F, So.)

After earning starts in the past two games, Wilkins is taking on the unenviable position of replacing two famed Cavalier defenders in Atkins and Mitchell in the post. Through 11 games, his progress has been up and down.

Like Anderson the previous three years, Wilkins brings excitement and visible passion to the court. But at only 6-7, he can struggle against bigger players – such as California’s 6-11 freshman forward Ivan Rabb.

Still, Wilkins can occasionally stretch the defense with a midrange jumper, and his 17 offensive rebounds are impressive. His energy will continue to earn him playing time down the stretch.

Grade: B

Jarred Reuter (F, Fr.)

Reuter was expected to see some minutes this season, but not important ones. However, his performance against California has changed that perception. The freshman scored seven of Virginia’s first 14 points en route to a career high 11 points.

Reuter averages just 7.2 minutes per game in his nine contests this season, but he might see more minutes moving forward against physical teams. With the addition of forwards Austin Nichols and Mamadi Diakite to the lineup next season, Reuter may never be a consistent starter. Still, he seems he will always have an impact off the bench.

Grade: B-

London Perrantes (G, Jr.)

Throughout the past two years, Bennett has urged Perrantes to be more aggressive with his shot – even considering moving him to the two-guard at times this season. At least through the non-conference slate, Perrantes heard the message loud and clear.

The junior is shooting 57.6 percent from beyond the arc while averaging 11.3 points per game – good for third best on the team. His three-point percentage is the second highest in the ACC and the seventh best nationally.

Despite missing two games to an appendectomy, Perrantes has added the perimeter threat Virginia needed after Anderson’s departure. He also leads the team with 43 assists.

Grade: A

Jack Salt (C, R-Fr.)

Bennett hyped up Salt’s physicality throughout the preseason. And while there is no doubt he is more physical than his fellow center, Tobey, that still doesn’t necessarily make Salt the best option due to his tendency to get in foul trouble.

The Kiwi has started four of the eight games he’s played in – he didn’t see action in three contests. However, with an average of 3.1 points per game and 1.6 rebounds per contest, along with the emergence of Reuter, his minutes are likely to decline in ACC play. After just two seasons of high school basketball, his game will benefit from another year of Bennett’s tutelage.

Grade: C-

Darius Thompson (G, So.)

The Tennessee-transfer received plenty of attention in the offseason for his vertical that is touted as higher than Justin Anderson’s. His monstrous dunk against William & Mary likely confirmed that assertion.

Thompson has started seven of 11 games this season – twice filling in at point guard for the injured Perrantes while also seeing time as a wing against smaller lineups. He’s fourth on the team with 8.4 points per game – up from the 2.6 he averaged as a freshman for the Volunteers – and also leads Virginia with 12 steals.

Although his jumper does not inspire confidence, he is shooting 45.5 percent from three – a significant jump from the 19.5 percent he shot at Tennessee. His knack for game-breaking plays should serve Virginia well against stronger competition.

Grade: B+

Final Grade

The early season loss against George Washington was concerning – Virginia looked all out of sorts, without an identity. A month and a half later, though, and things don’t look so bad. Virginia is close to settling in on a rotation, while the Colonials have climbed to as high as No. 20 in the rankings.

The backcourt of Brogdon, Perrantes and Thompson – with contributions from Shayok and Hall – is the team’s strength. Although Virginia would certainly benefit if Nichols and Diakite could contribute, Gill is having a career season, and Wilkins is steadily improving. Tobey will also fare better against teams that play a true center.

After surviving the brutal non-conference stretch, Bennett has to be confident.

This team likely is not better than last year’s rendition that ascended to No. 2 in the rankings with the help of Anderson. That said, there is more parity this season in college basketball as a whole. There are no Kentucky’s that will have an undefeated regular season, and the nation’s best one-and-done – LSU forward Ben Simmons – might not even make the NCAA tournament.

The offensive potential separates this year’s Virginia squad from teams of old. If Gill continues his dominance in the paint and Virginia’s shooters stay hot in March, there is likely no team the Cavaliers can’t beat.

Grade: A-