Women’s lacrosse continues ACC struggles, loses 16-4 against Notre Dame

<p>Sophomore goalie Rachel Vander Kolk had a game-high 15 saves on 43 shots&nbsp;in Virginia's 16-4 defeat at the hands of the Fighting Irish Saturday.</p>

Sophomore goalie Rachel Vander Kolk had a game-high 15 saves on 43 shots in Virginia's 16-4 defeat at the hands of the Fighting Irish Saturday.

The No. 9 Virginia women’s lacrosse team (4-5, 0-3 ACC) was defeated, 16-4, Saturday by No. 5 Notre Dame (9-1, 3-1 ACC).

Senior midfielder Mary Alati, junior attacker Besser Dyson and sophomore midfielders Kasey Behr and Lilly DiNardo each scored one goal for the Cavaliers, who have dropped their past four games after starting the season 4-1.

Sophomore goalie Rachel Vander Kolk had a game-high 15 saves in the defeat. Virginia was outshot by Notre Dame, 43-12.

Virginia started the game off strongly, leading 2-1 with 17:25 remaining in the first half after goals by DiNardo and Alati.

Notre Dame scored the next three goals, but Virginia trailed just 4-3 after Dyson scored with 11:15 left in the half.

However, the Fighting Irish took control and closed the half by scoring four straight goals, taking an 8-3 halftime advantage.

Notre Dame opened the second half with two straight goals. Then after Behr scored with 19:38 left to cut the lead to 10-4, Notre Dame went on another six goal run to end the game.

The loss continues the struggles Virginia has had on the road and in conference games this season. The team is now 0-3 in both true road games and ACC play.

The Cavaliers will look to get back on track when they next play James Madison (4-5) in Klöckner Stadium this Wednesday. The Cavaliers have won their past four meetings with James Madison, including last season’s 14-12 win.