Malcolm Brogdon’s No. 15 to be retired Feb. 20

Two-time All-American is eighth Cavalier to receive honor

<p>The ceremony will take place prior to the game Monday, Feb. 20 against Miami.</p>

The ceremony will take place prior to the game Monday, Feb. 20 against Miami.

Former basketball star Malcolm Brogdon — currently a rookie for the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks — will be honored in a pregame jersey retirement ceremony to commemorate his career as a Cavalier. The ceremony will take place prior to the game Monday, Feb. 20 against Miami.

The Atlanta, Ga. native led the team in his four seasons on the court, earning an All-ACC first-team award three times and a consensus second-team All-American in 2015. His calm demeanor on the court and lock-down defensive prowess led to two ACC Defensive Player of the Year Awards, and an NABC Defensive Player of the Year Award in 2016.

Among historic Virginia basketball players, Brogdon resides comfortably with legends such as Ralph Sampson, Sean Singletary and Buzzy Wilkinson, all of whom have had their numbers retired as well. Brogdon ranks ninth in program history with 1,809 points, second with 136 games played and fifth in minutes played at 4,157.

Each season he played in Cavalier blue and orange, the team earned a bid in the NCAA tournament, and he guided the squad to two ACC regular-season titles and one ACC Tournament championship. Needless to say, he has left his mark on Cavalier basketball.

However, what he achieved off the court is just as notable.

After graduating with a degree in History from the University, Brogdon, who had an extra year of eligibility due to a redshirt sophomore season, lived on the East Range and earned a master’s degree in public policy from the Batten School. He was also honored as a 2016 Senior CLASS Award candidate.

In his rookie season with the Bucks, Brogdon is averaging 8.2 points, three assists and two rebounds per game, numbers that have vaulted him to the top of the 2016 Rookie class, leading CBS Sports’ Ananth Pandian to call him “the steal of the draft.”

Cavaliers fans will be delighted to welcome their steady leader back to Charlottesville, and will continue to cheer on his success at the next level.