​Track and field prepares for ACC Championships

Zach Herriott leads team into South Bend to compete for conference title

<p>Senior Zach Herriott will&nbsp;compete in the men’s 5000m run, where he previously finished with the top seed time of all runners.</p>

Senior Zach Herriott will compete in the men’s 5000m run, where he previously finished with the top seed time of all runners.

Virginia indoor track and field will travel to South Bend, Ind. to compete in the upcoming ACC Championships at Notre Dame this weekend. The competition will begin Thursday, Feb. 23 and continue until Saturday, Feb. 25.

Virginia men’s track and field enters the meet as No. 15 in the country. This has been the Cavaliers’ placement throughout the indoor season, but they will attempt to rise in the ranks with a solid team finish this weekend at the ACC Championships. Senior Zach Herriott said it will take a team effort to make it to the NCAA Championships, but as a leader, he is ready for the challenge.

“I feel like I have always been a natural leader,” Herriott said. “Being a captain for the past two years, I’ve learned that it is about how each person responds to motivation, and it is fun being able to get know each teammate.”

The Cavalier men will come in as a favorite — being ranked as the highest team in the conference ahead of other ACC teams in the USTFCCCA Top 25 such as No. 21 Virginia Tech and No. 25 Syracuse. However, Syracuse is the defending ACC champion in indoor track and field and will be tough competition this weekend.

A few headlining names for the Cavaliers are senior Henry Wynne and junior Filip Mihaljevic, who will compete in the one mile competition and in shot put, respectively. Wynne is both the defending national and ACC champion in the one mile run, and Mihaljevic is the defending outdoor shot put national champion for the Cavaliers and attended the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio for Croatia. Herriott will also be an athlete to watch for as he competes in the men’s 5000m run and finished with the top seed time of all runners.

“We have a great shot to win the conference as a team, and anything I can do to contribute to that is a good opportunity,” Herriott said.

The women will have more of an uphill battle heading into the ACC Championships, as USTFCCCA has the indoor team ranked No. 111 in the nation this week. However, only one ACC team ranks in the Top 25 — No. 15 Miami.

A headlining name for the women’s track and field team will be freshman Emma Call. Call will compete in the women’s 800m and will enter the competition with the sixth-fastest seed time of all competitors in this event. Senior Christine Bohan will be competing in the shot put, and she has the fourth seed with a distance of 16.25m.

Some of the events on the first day include pentathlon for women and heptathlon for the men. Friday and Saturday will consist of the bulk of the action, with preliminary races occurring Friday afternoon and finals taking place Saturday.

Events will begin Thursday at 11 a.m.