Student Council passes bill on transgender students, hears from Bicentennial Commission

Commission leaders present at first StudCo meeting under new leadership

<p>The meeting was the first since Student Council elections, in which third-year Batten student Sarah Kenny was elected Student Council president.</p>

The meeting was the first since Student Council elections, in which third-year Batten student Sarah Kenny was elected Student Council president.

In Student Council’s weekly General Body meeting Tuesday night, members heard a presentation from the co-chair of the Bicentennial Commission and passed a bill reaffirming protections for transgender students at the University.

The meeting was the first since Student Council elections, in which third-year College student Sarah Kenny was elected Student Council president and second-year College students Ty Zirkle and Alexander Cintron were elected vice president for organizations and vice president for administration, respectively.

Before the General Body meeting, the members held a brief legislative session in which they passed a bill reaffirming the University’s support for and protection of transgender students. The legislation passed with 13 votes in favor, three abstentions and one vote against. 

The resolution, SR17-11, cited a recent “curtailing” of previous policies to protect the rights of transgender students as a “renewed impetus for protecting transgender students.”

President Donald Trump’s administration recently rescinded federal guidelines that instructed public schools to allow students to use the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.

The resolution requested “an official public reaffirmation of the [U]niversity’s transgender student population combined with an assurance that such protections will remain in place indefinitely.”

The legislation came days after the University announced the designation of a gender-neutral bathroom on the West Lawn.

During their meeting, the General Body heard a presentation from Dr. Robert Battle, a co-chair of the Bicentennial Commission, and Karin Evans, Executive Director of the Bicentennial, on the plans for the bicentennial celebrations, which are set to start in October.

Battle began by emphasizing how personally important to him the bicentennial celebrations will be.

“I’m a native of Charlottesville,” Battle said. “What we’re talking about really resonates with me.”

He said the celebrations would begin Oct. 6, commemorating the date that the first cornerstone of the University was laid.

“We’re going to be having a big celebration that first weekend of October 6, it’s a Friday,” Battle said.

He listed a variety of events planned for that weekend, including an a cappella concert Friday night and possibly another at John Paul Jones Arena Saturday. The events will be preceded by a presentation at the Paramount Theater considering the future of public education.

Battle highlighted the importance of student input in the process.

“What we’re trying to do is engage everyone we can,” Battle said. “We’re open to all kinds of newer ideas.”

He recounted a conversation with one of the University’s provosts to further emphasize his commitment to the student body and their importance in the University experience. He said the provost asked him what the University’s biggest asset is.

“The answer has been the same every year as long as I can remember, and that’s the undergraduate experience,” Battle replied.

Kenny agreed, saying Student Council could play an important role in encouraging student involvement in the process.

“This is an incredibly exciting opportunity, and I want StudCo to be at the forefront of mobilizing our peers,” Kenny said.

As well as highlighting the role of the student body, Battle repeatedly mentioned the importance of telling a complete history of the University, including the negative aspects, which are often overlooked.

“We’re talking about all of our history, not just the stuff we’re proud of. All of it,” he said.

He said many of the conversations he has heard regarding the Bicentennial are more superficial, but he wants to look more deeply at all aspects of the University’s history, particularly race.

“As the co-chair, I think that race is an issue that we need to dig into,” Battle said.

Correction: This article previously misstated that Kenny is a third-year Batten student. She is a third-year College student. This article also mistakenly said that SR17-11 passed with unanimous support. The legislation passed with 13 votes in favor, three abstentions and one vote against.