Law Prof. Leslie Kendrick appointed as new Law School vice dean

Kendrick to begin position July 1

<p>Kendrick said she is excited to support the Law School and to aid in showing the work it does through conferences and symposiums.</p>

Kendrick said she is excited to support the Law School and to aid in showing the work it does through conferences and symposiums.

Law Prof. Leslie Kendrick, a University Law School alumna, is set to succeed Vice Dean George Geis as the new vice dean of the Law School starting July 1. Kendrick is an expert in free speech, torts, property and constitutional law.

Both Kendrick and Geis joined the Law School faculty in 2008. Geis is an expert in business law, contract theory, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and venture capital. After turning over the position to Kendrick, Geis will return to teaching and researching full-time as the William S. Potter Professor of Law.

“Professor Kendrick is a terrific choice for this leadership position, and, as I complete my five-year term as vice dean, I am very pleased to know that the law school will be in such good hands,” Geis said in a statement.

Kendrick said she is excited to support the Law School and to aid in showcase the work it does through conferences and symposiums.

“One thing that I’m really excited about is supporting intellectual endeavors of both faculty and students and bringing students into the intellectual projects of faculty members and bringing other people from around the country to the Law School to see see all the fantastic work that our law professors do,” Kendrick said.

Kendrick graduated from the Law School in 2006 and has been working for the Law School since 2008.

“As both a student and a faculty member I’ve loved what a wonderful, supportive community [the Law School] is,” Kendrick said. “It’s a group of people who truly care about scholarship, who truly care about their students and who truly care about service to the law school and the University.”

In her time at the Law School, Kendrick has acquired multiple awards. Kendrick said she hopes to continue the legacy Geis leaves in her hands as well as following new pursuits of students and faculty.

“Among the several great qualities he has, he is an imminently reasonable and fair person,” Kendrick said. “He always has great ideas and he also listens and communicates to others so well. He’s really a model of what leadership is and I hope to learn even more from him in the next few months as I’m gearing up for the job.”

The job of vice dean entails organizing the Law School curriculum, aiding the work of the Student Records Office and the Office of Student Affairs and working to promote and enable the intellectual pursuits of faculty and students.

“One thing I learned is that everyone comes with their own perspective and that you shouldn’t assume that you know what other people’s perspectives are,” Kendrick said. “I think part of being a professor and a teacher is listening well and I hope that I can remember that as vice dean and be a listening vice dean also.”