Weekend previews: Aug. 25-27

“The Skinny” on weekend action for field hockey, volleyball

<p>Senior midfielder Tara Vittese provides a spark to Virginia's prolific offense as the top goal scorer per-game in the nation.&nbsp;</p>

Senior midfielder Tara Vittese provides a spark to Virginia's prolific offense as the top goal scorer per-game in the nation. 

Field Hockey

What: No. 10 Virginia vs. Fairfield 

Where: Turf Field

When: Friday, 4 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia field hockey team will open up the 2017 season Friday as they get set to take on Fairfield.

Virginia is coming off of one of the program’s best seasons in history, in which they won the ACC Championship and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament. Virginia’s ACC title was the first in program history.

Virginia flashed a strong home field advantage last season, finishing 8-3 at home. They will get numerous opportunities to showcase this advantage this season, with 12 out of 18 regular season games at home in Charlottesville.

The Cavaliers will be aided by the return of one of their best players in program history. Senior midfielder Tara Vittese has twice been named the NFHCA National Player of the Year and was the 2016 ACC Field Hockey Offensive Player of the Year.

The game between the Cavaliers and the Stags is scheduled for 4 p.m. Friday and will begin a five-game homestand for Virginia.

— compiled by Rahul Shah 

Volleyball

What: Virginia vs. Hofstra, Liberty and Villanova

Where: Memorial Gymnasium

When: Friday, 7 p.m.; Saturday, noon and 7 p.m.

Virginia will look to start the 2017 season on a high note as they host the Cavalier Classic and face off against Hofstra Friday at 7 p.m., Liberty Saturday at noon and Villanova Saturday at 7 p.m.

New head coach Aaron Smith and an overall shakeup of the coaching staff over the summer may prove to be just what the Cavaliers need as they look to improve from last season’s record of 7-25 overall and 4-16 ACC. 

In addition to new coaching staff, Virginia also picked up some key players over the summer that may make the difference in tight matches. New players include sophomore right side hitter Jelena Novakovic, junior defensive specialist Olivia Wolodkewitsch, freshman middle blocker  Hannah Barcus, freshman outside hitters Sarah Billiard and Alexandra Spencer and freshman setter Megan Wilson. 

Last weekend the team held the annual Blue and Orange scrimmage, giving both veterans and new players valuable experience with what to expect on game day.

The Hofstra Pride, which was able to rack up a series of impressive wins last season (20-10) and secured a position in the Colonial Athletic Association quarterfinals, faces off against the Cavaliers for the ninth time, having only been beaten once by Virginia. 

Virginia begins its season at 7 p.m. Friday in Memorial Gymnasium. 

— compiled by John Garza