Baseball swept in three-game series by No. 10 Clemson

Each game was decided by one run

<p>Junior second baseman Andy Weber went two-for-three with an RBI single in the first game of the series against Clemson on Friday night and one-for-two with two RBI sacrifice flies on Saturday.&nbsp;</p>

Junior second baseman Andy Weber went two-for-three with an RBI single in the first game of the series against Clemson on Friday night and one-for-two with two RBI sacrifice flies on Saturday. 

The Virginia baseball team was swept in a three-game home series this weekend against No. 10 Clemson. 

Each game was decided by a one-run margin — 3-2, 5-4 and 9-8, respectively. The Cavaliers (24-20, 8-15 ACC) have now played in six straight one-run games, including seven of their last eight.

On Friday, the Virginia offense only managed five hits against Clemson (34-11, 17-7 ACC), two of which were recorded by junior second baseman Andy Weber. Weber went two-for-three with an RBI single in the third inning, scoring freshman first baseman Tanner Morris. Weber leads the team in batting averages with .365 and in RBIs with 38. He has also reached base in 30 straight games.

Freshman left-handed reliever Andrew Abbott struck out a career-high six batters in two and one-third innings of work, allowing only one hit. Senior right-handed pitcher Derek Casey started the game, pitching the other six and two-thirds innings. 

In the third inning, Virginia senior left fielder Charlie Cody robbed Clemson sophomore shortstop Logan Davidson of a home run, leaping above the wall to make the catch. However, Clemson’s junior right fielder Seth Beer then hit a home run to right field in the next at-bat that bounced off the top of the wall then over.

In Saturday’s game, Clemson hit three home runs, including one by Davidson, off junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch — who went seven innings and allowed five runs.

Weber went 1-2 with two RBI sacrifice flies, both of which drove in Morris. Morris went 3-for-4 with a double, scoring those two runs.

The Cavaliers gave up five runs in the top of the third inning on Sunday before scoring four runs of their own in the bottom of the eighth.

Abbott loaded the bases in the top of the ninth before escaping the jam to keep Virginia within a run of Clemson. However, junior right-handed pitcher Ryley Gilliam pitched a perfect bottom of the ninth for the Tigers.

Five Cavalier hitters were walked in the eighth, fueling their rally. Weber was also hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to drive in a run. Junior catcher Cameron Comer scored three runs and had two walks on Sunday.

The Cavaliers next play at home Tuesday against VCU. The game starts at 6 p.m. at Davenport Field at Disharoon Park.