Baseball takes series at Louisville

RBI single by Rivoli wins Sunday’s game

<p>Freshman designated hitter Brendan Rivoli hit the game-winning RBI single in Sunday's game to win the series for the Cavaliers.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman designated hitter Brendan Rivoli hit the game-winning RBI single in Sunday's game to win the series for the Cavaliers. 

The Virginia baseball team won two games of a three-game road series at Louisville over the weekend. 

Freshman designated hitter Brendan Rivoli hit an RBI single in the ninth inning to drive in freshman right fielder Alex Tappen, which put the Cavaliers (24-17, 9-12 ACC) up 2-1, the eventual final score, in the last game of the series. All three games were decided by a one-run margin.

On Friday, Louisville freshman designated hitter Danny Oriente hit a two-run double in the eighth inning off of freshman lefthander Andrew Abbott to make the game 5-4 in favor of the Cardinals (26-13, 10-11 ACC). 

Freshman designated hitter Devin Ortiz went 2-for-3 Friday with a double, triple and RBI. Ortiz scored in the seventh inning to put Virginia up 4-3.

Junior left-handed pitcher Daniel Lynch went seven innings on Saturday. Lynch was relieved by senior left-handed pitcher Bennett Sousa, who got the save after two scoreless innings of work.

The Cavaliers were trailing 4-2 in the top of the sixth inning before scoring three runs. Junior second baseman Andy Weber singled to center field to score sophomore center fielder Cayman Richardson to give Virginia its final lead of 5-4.

Sunday’s game saw Virginia down to its last out in the top of the ninth inning. Tappen doubled to left-center field to score Weber from first base, then Rivoli proceeded to single to right, scoring Tappen.

Sousa went one and two-thirds innings to earn his fourth win of the season, leaving two Louisville runners on base in the bottom of the ninth. 

The Cavaliers next play Tuesday at Old Dominion. The game begins at 12 p.m. at Harbor Park in Norfolk.