No. 13 men’s lacrosse picks up key win over Vermont, 10-9

The Cavaliers used a late goal from Michael Kraus to take momentum into this weekend’s ACC tournament

<p>Sophomore attacker Michael Kraus scored the game-winner against Vermont in the non-conference clash.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore attacker Michael Kraus scored the game-winner against Vermont in the non-conference clash. 

The No. 13 Virginia men’s lacrosse team outlasted Vermont in New Canaan, Conn. Saturday afternoon, picking up a crucial non-conference win in the Cavaliers’ effort to return to the postseason.

In a back-and-forth battle, the Cavaliers (10-4, 1-3 ACC) came out on top with a goal from sophomore attackman Michael Kraus with just under two minutes remaining. It was a big moment for Kraus, who went to New Canaan High School, graduating in 2016. He scored the final goal on the same field where he dominated opponents in high school.

It did not come easy for Virginia, however. The Cavaliers led for most of the game, but the Catamounts kept fighting back.

Virginia jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead with goals from senior attackman Mike D’Amario and freshman attackman Ian Laviano. D’Amario led the Cavaliers in scoring on the day with three goals.

The rest of the half was a low-scoring affair that saw the Cavaliers jump out to narrow leads, only to see them rapidly disappear. Things were knotted up at five goals apiece headed into halftime.

Virginia went on a 3-1 run at the beginning of the third quarter, leading Vermont 8-6. The two-goal margin tied their biggest lead of the game.

The Catamounts responded with fury, going on a 3-0 run to end the third frame that gave them their first lead of the contest, 9-8.

Virginia didn’t panic, however, and erased Vermont’s lead with junior attackman Mikey Herring’s goal with under three minutes left in the game.

Kraus’ game-winner wrapped up the Cavaliers’ 10th victory of the season, their first season with double-digit victories since 2015.

Virginia found out Saturday that it would be the No. 4 seed in the ACC Tournament set to take place this weekend at Klöckner Stadium in Charlottesville. They will face No. 1 seed Syracuse in the semifinals Friday night.