Scott wins individual triple jump title at NCAA Indoor Championships

Three Cavaliers competed Saturday in their respective field events

<p>Jordan Scott was the only competitor to surpass 55 feet in the NCAA Indoor Championships.</p>

Jordan Scott was the only competitor to surpass 55 feet in the NCAA Indoor Championships.

This past Saturday afternoon, three members of the men’s and women’s track and field teams competed at the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Ala., in the NCAA Indoor Championships. Junior Jordan Scott, senior Bridget Guy and junior Brenton Foster took center stage in the their respective field events — triple jump, pole vault and high jump.

Scott, in his third appearance at the national indoor championships, entered the meet ranked second in the nation with a jump of 16.90 meters — an ACC and Virginia record. The triple jump competition consisted of six rounds, of which Scott led all six. The Jamaican jumper managed to reach 55 feet twice, making his top jump at 16.89 meters — 55.5 feet — in the third round. The only competitor to surpass 55 feet, Scott claimed the NCAA title for the Cavaliers. His performance earned the Virginia men’s track and field team their first NCAA indoor field championship.

“Birmingham has been such a special place, truly living up to its name 'the Magic City,'” Coach Bryan Fetzer said. “Henry [Wynne] won last time and now Jordan. I do not have the words to describe my feeling for Jordan Scott. He embodies our team principles, especially being grateful. His best is yet to come.”

Earlier that day, Foster competed in the high jump. Foster placed 11th in the event by clearing 2.20 meters on his second attempt. With his finish, Foster earned second-team All-America honors, the first Cavalier to receive All-America honors in the high jump at the indoor championships.

The sole competitor on the women’s side, senior Bridget Guy, finished in fifth place for first-team All-America honors in the pole vault. Guy cleared 4.41 meters on her first attempt, breaking her own school record for the fourth time this season. Guy’s finish makes her the first Cavalier to earn first-team All-America honors in the indoor pole vault in program history.

"Bridget is such a competitor," Fetzer said. "She continually excels on the big stage. What a great way for her to end her U.Va. indoor career, with another school record and All-America honors."

The Cavaliers have won a combined five indoor and outdoor titles since 2016 and are looking forward to even greater success in this upcoming outdoor season.

"We have an amazing staff," Fetzer said. "Every year, one of the event groups steps up and serves as our backbone, like what [Pete] Watson and [Martin] Maric have done before. I'm very blessed to have the staff we have here. Mario [Wilson] has done a great job with his group and they have been amazing all indoor season. I can't wait to see what is next during the outdoor season."