Virginia clinches men’s Capital One Cup for the 2018-19 season

The Cavaliers’ two national championships powered them to the top of the standings

<p>Men's lacrosse's national championship was just one of many athletic achievements for Virginia this season.&nbsp;</p>

Men's lacrosse's national championship was just one of many athletic achievements for Virginia this season. 

A testament to success in multiple sports this year, Virginia currently holds an the lead in the men’s Capital One Cup standings.

The Capital One Cup is a multi-sport honor awarded annually since the 2010-11 athletic year to a school that achieves tremendous success across various sports. Competing schools gain points throughout the year based on their teams’ performances in national championships.

Virginia finished the year with 127 points in the competition — 48 points ahead of any other school. A pair of national championships in men’s basketball and lacrosse in addition to strong performances in other sports helped the Cavaliers surge into first place.

Stanford, who finished second, could have taken the lead if the Cardinals had won the national title in baseball — worth 60 points — but they fell short in the Super Regional last week.

This marks the second time in five years Virginia will take home the men’s Capital One Cup, as well as the $200,000 in scholarship money that comes with it.