No. 10 Virginia women’s squash falls 3-1 against ranked opponents

The Cavaliers struggled against Princeton, Yale and Trinity College, but defeated Wesleyan in weekend contests

<p>Sophomore Emma Jinks competed in the number one position, defeating her Wesleyan opponent 3-0 by a score of 11-4, 11-6, 11-3.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore Emma Jinks competed in the number one position, defeating her Wesleyan opponent 3-0 by a score of 11-4, 11-6, 11-3. 

No. 10 Virginia women’s squash travelled to play several high-ranked opponents this weekend, including No. 3 Princeton, No. 21 Wesleyan, No. 5 Yale and No. 2 Trinity. The Cavaliers (4-3) fell to the Tigers (2-0) 0-9 Friday, but rallied to beat the Cardinals (2-2) 8-1 before falling to the Bulldogs (2-0) 1-8 Saturday and the Bantams (2-0) 0-9 Sunday. 

Princeton 

Virginia fell 0-9 to Princeton Friday afternoon, but several Virginia players had strong performances in the matchup. 

Sophomore Emma Jinks played junior Raneem El Torky in the number one position, losing in a close-fought match with an overall score of 3-2. Jinks lost the first match 11-2 but was able to rally back to win the next two matches 6-11, 10-12. The final two matches were also close, but Jinks fell 11-9, 13-11. 

Freshman Sydney Maxwell also had a close match against junior Emme Leonard in position three, managing to stay within three points of Leonard in her three losses. Though she won her first match 13-15, she ultimately lost 3-1 with a score of 13-15, 11-9, 11-8, 11-9. 

Wesleyan

Virginia rallied Saturday morning to beat Wesleyan 8-1. All but one of the Cavalier victories was a shutout. 

Virginia excelled at minimizing points from Wesleyan. Junior Emily Woodworth faced junior Natasha Feenstra in position four and held her to only one point in their second game in a match that ultimately ended with a score of 11-6, 11-1, 11-7 in Woodworth’s favor. 

Both senior Elle Carroll and junior Giovanna Veiga de Almeida also held their opponents to only two points in at least one game. 

Freshman Maria Paula Moya was also able to rally back after losing her first game to junior Ananya Vir, 12-10, in position two. Moya won the next three games 8-11, 4-11, 8-11 to help ensure a Cavalier victory. 

Yale 

Virginia lost to Yale Saturday in another close series of matchups, but the Cavaliers were able to claim one match victory. 

Senior Tara Arya beat junior Riya Mital 2-3 in position seven. Mital claimed the first match victory, but Arya rallied and claimed the next two, 8-11, 5-11. In the final match, Arya won 9-11 for a final score of 11-6, 8-11, 5-11, 11-8, 9-11. 

Six position senior Julia Thompson, five position Woodworth and three position Maxwell were all able to secure one match victory as well. 

Trinity 

The Cavaliers fell to Trinity in their last match of the weekend. Notable efforts came from Moya and Arya, who both lost 3-2 to opponents. 

Moya faced junior Teh Min Jie in position two, winning her third match 8-11 after losing the first two. The final score was 12-10, 11-2, 8-11, 12-14, 11-6. 

Arya faced freshman Nanna Carleke in position six and won the first match 9-11 and the fourth match 6-11. The final score was 9-11, 11-7, 11-4, 6-11, 12-10. 

The Virginia women continue their season Jan. 11 when they will host No. 30 Vassar at 11:30 a.m. at the McArthur Squash Center.