Women’s basketball beats Cal State Northridge 72-47

The Cavaliers pick up their second win in their best defensive performance of the season

<p>Amandine Toi finished the game with 12 points as she helped power the Cavaliers to their second win of the season.</p>

Amandine Toi finished the game with 12 points as she helped power the Cavaliers to their second win of the season.

Virginia traveled Tuesday to face California State Northridge, routing the Matadors (0-3, 0-0 Big West) 72-47 and rebounding well after a loss to Southern California. The Cavaliers (2-1, 0-0 ACC) played at a high level on both ends of the floor, similar to its showing in the season opener against Bucknell

Both teams struggled to gain an offensive rhythm in the first half. However, after some back-and-forth in the early goings, senior guard Dominique Toussaint and senior forward Jocelyn Willoughby combined for 17 points in the first half to give Virginia the edge

While Willoughby and Toussaint were running the show, no other Virginia player had more than three points in the first half as the Cavaliers’ offense sputtered at the start. Fortunately for Virginia, the Matadors had even greater offensive troubles with just one player scoring more than four points in the first half.

Virginia held a narrow 24-17 lead going into halftime as both sides looked to pick up some offensive momentum in the second half. 

The Cavaliers answered with an offensive onslaught in the second half. After shooting 36 percent from the field in the first half, Virginia improved to 59 percent shooting in the second half as the entire team came alive.

Virginia outscored Cal State Northridge 48-30 in the second half behind the most balanced scoring effort the Cavaliers have displayed this season. Willoughby and freshman guards Amandine Toi and Carole Miller combined for 32 points in the second half. Finishing off the game strong, Virginia secured a resounding 72-47 win over the Matadors.

Four Virginia players scored double-digit points, and two more were just a couple of points off the mark. Willoughby had a game-high 19 points while Toussaint and Toi each scored 12 points. Miller added 10 points off the bench, while freshman guard Kylie Kornegay-Lucas and senior forward Lisa Jablonowski combined for 15 points between them.

While Willoughby might have ended up as the team’s scoring leader, Toussaint was the key playmaker for Virginia, adding six rebounds and seven assists along with her scoring production.

Meanwhile, Cal State Northridge was held to 27 percent shooting from the floor and 21 percent shooting from three as Virginia tightened up its defense after being exposed by the Trojans Saturday. Willoughby recorded three blocks while Virginia stole the ball nine times as a team.

Up next, Virginia hosts No. 13 Kentucky Saturday at John Paul Jones Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m.