Something we can all agree on

Humor Columnist Camila Suárez spits straight facts

Stability and consistency are something that many people — especially during these unprecedented times — are practically desperate for. I know I am. And as a result, I have searched through the limited depths of my mind for things that have been constant over the past several years of my existence. And, unfortunately, I have found that growth from kindergarten to college has resulted in instability of what one knows and agrees with. For example, in elementary school I was terrified of the Bermuda triangle. Yet years later, the only thing that reminded me of it was a Tweet asking if everyone had the collective experience of thinking the region would have more of an impact on their life than it has — that got me thinking.

As of right now, a great majority of us are having a collective experience of suffering through school or work in the virtual and physical world. In some odd way, like biting into something soft and not feeling a crunch, it is a bit comforting to know that you are not alone. Most of us can agree that, on very simplified terms, life is very unstable right now.

So, for the sake of escapism from my upcoming math exam and the collective good, I have decided that what we all need is something else to agree on as a group. We need a completely undeniable fact that no amount of evidence can refute. Now, I could declare that to be ‘mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell’ or ‘the Earth is round,’ but those are old news. Boring. The public needs something that is both collectively recognized but so low level that the only time it would float to the top of your consciousness is if you spotted someone mentioning it on social media at two in the morning. 

With that criteria in mind, I came to my answer—

Science is green.

Now, before you scoff and stop reading, hear me out.

From remembering a conversation I had during class two years ago, I came to a very interesting conclusion. When associating certain academic subjects to colors, a grand majority of people differ between their core classes — English, math, history and whatever foreign language they are taking. English is blue or red but math is red or blue. History is brown or purple but your language class is purple or brown.

Except science. People do not argue about science. Well, apart from that one kid in my class who wanted to be different and said it was yellow. The silence was deafening.

It is weird that while people go wild over arguing what notebook color they want to write quadratic equations or vocab practice in, when it comes to science — no matter the subtopic — it is always green. Now, I’m not expecting the entirety of the human race to agree with me, but I do not think it would be wrong of me to expect a pretty large portion to shrug and say, “Yeah, I guess.”

I do not believe this will solve any issues going on in the world right now. That would just be ridiculous. But, a massive and credible statement such as this one should not be ignored. It is a bigger door that you can float on with a buddy as this ship called Earth sinks behind you. It is a stable statement. It is consistent no matter what you are studying, from life science to physics. It is small so you can keep it in the back of your mind when things get stressful or don’t seem consistent. And, most importantly, it is enough. Because science is green.

And math is blue. Don’t be mad, it's a verifiable fact.