Disorder with a weapon reported at Runk Dining Hall

No injuries have been reported at this time

The suspect is described as a Black male with black hair and brown eyes, wearing all-black clothing.

The University Police Department responded to a disorder with a weapon incident at Runk Dining Hall Friday at 9:08 p.m. per a community alert sent Sunday morning by Timothy Longo, chief of the University Police Department and vice president for security and safety. 

An employee reported having an argument with a co-worker, who then lifted their shirt to show a handgun in their waistband. Afterward, the suspect fled in an unknown direction. The employee reported that the suspect never removed the gun from their waistband. 

The University weapons policy prohibits all students, faculty and staff from carrying a weapon on University property, regardless of whether an individual maintains a concealed carry permit. 

This weapon disorder follows three other gun-related incidents in Charlottesville. The first injured a juvenile male Jan. 23. The second resulted in the injury of a 30-year-old female Jan. 24. The third fatally wounded a young man Jan. 28. Additionally, a community alert sent Jan. 16 notified University students of a shots fired incident at Cherry Street and Hanover with no injuries reported.

​​Community alerts are shared via email to the University community when there is timely information about a threat that can be released to the community without compromising any ongoing investigations. Timely warnings are issued when there is an ongoing threat to the community. 

The public may opt-in to receive emergency alerts by texting “UVA” to 226787.