​Men’s golf takes first in opening tournament

<p>The Cavaliers recorded a 54-hole total of 833 (31 under par) to finish six strokes ahead of second-place No. 11 Auburn, the tournament's defending champion.</p>

The Cavaliers recorded a 54-hole total of 833 (31 under par) to finish six strokes ahead of second-place No. 11 Auburn, the tournament's defending champion.

The No. 21 Virginia men’s golf team started the season off this past weekend in impressive fashion, finishing first place in a record-breaking performance at the highly competitive Carpet Capital Collegiate tournament.

The Cavaliers recorded a 54-hole total of 833 (31 under par) to finish six strokes ahead of second-place No. 11 Auburn, the tournament's defending champion. Virginia’s score of 833 broke the tournament’s previous team record of 841, set by Alabama in 2006.

The Cavaliers showed strong composure and consistency throughout the tournament despite it was Virginia’s first time competing in the Carpet Capital Collegiate. The three round, 14-team tournament held in Dalton, Ga. is one of the tougher tournaments nationally, with six of the teams that competed ranked ahead of Virginia in the GCAA Coaches poll.

Senior captain Derek Bard led the way for the Cavaliers, shooting a team best 206 (10 under par) to tie for second place individually in the tournament of 78 golfers. Sophomore Thomas Walsh also had an excellent tournament, posting a 208 (eight under par) to place sixth individually.

Freshman Luke Schaap provided a boost to Virginia with a breakout performance this weekend. In his first college tournament, he shot 210 (six under par) to finish tied for 11th.

Additionally, strong performances came from senior captain Jimmy Stanger — who also shot 210 (six under par) — and junior Danny Walker, who shot 220 (four over par).

Virginia will next look to carry its momentum into nest week, as they will compete in the Inverness Intercollegiate tournament in Toledo, OH.