Cockburn leads in Albemarle Democratic caucus, Cullop exits race

Three candidates now competing for Democratic Party’s nomination in Fifth District race

<p>A former journalist, Cockburn won over 60% of the votes cast at Saturday's convention. (Pictured: Cockburn at a previous candidate forum in Charlottesville.)</p>

A former journalist, Cockburn won over 60% of the votes cast at Saturday's convention. (Pictured: Cockburn at a previous candidate forum in Charlottesville.)

Residents of Albemarle County caucused Monday evening at Monticello High School to choose a Democratic nominee to run against Rep. Tom Garrett in the 2018 congressional midterm elections. 

A total of 39 delegates were elected for the County — the largest sum of delegates of any locality in the Fifth District — according to unofficial results published by the Fifth District Democrats. Voters gave Leslie Cockburn 18 delegates, followed by 13 for Andrew Sneathern and eight for Roger Dean Huffstetler. None were elected for Ben Cullop.

Cullop announced he is ending his campaign for Congress Tuesday. In a release, Cullop did not specify why he is calling off his campaign, though he said he will remain committed to working on behalf of his community and ensuring a Democratic candidate wins the fifth district seat in the fall.

The convention will be held May 5 in Farmville, Va., where 250 elected caucus delegates from the 23 localities of the Fifth District will vote to select a Democratic congressional nominee.

The Virginia Fifth Congressional District Democratic Committee Committee voted earlier this year to select the Democratic congressional nominee by convention instead of a primary election. 

The Charlottesville City Democratic caucus will be held at 1:15 p.m. April 21 at Burley Gym.