Swimmers finish regular season with win

The last splash of the Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving team's regular season was a success as they defeated ACC contender Maryland Saturday.

The No. 9 Cavalier men (7-1, 3-1 ACC) defeated the Terps (7-3, 1-3), 125.5 to 77.5, while the No. 7 Cav women (8-0, 5-0) remained undefeated after a 138-83 conquest of Maryland (8-2, 2-2).

With five fourth-year men and seven fourth-year women competing in their final regular season meet on Senior Day, the triumph over Maryland was a sentimental win.

Fourth year Doak Finch finished on top in his last regular season meet with stellar performances in the 400-yard medley relay and the 200 butterfly. The relay, in which Finch teamed with Chris Mousetis, Ed Moses and Troy Johnson, finished with a time of 1:15.89, the fifth fastest time in the NCAA this season.

"I am very happy with my performance so far," Finch said. "This is the fastest I have ever swum in the midseason."

Finch said he has high expectations and is excited about the men's ACC Championship, which will take place in Chapel Hill from Feb. 17 to 19.

Fourth year Rebecca Cronk claimed first place in both the 50 and 100 freestyle, as well as the 400 medley with Megan Iffland, Kate Slonaker and Kori Forster. The Charlottesville native is also looking forward to the ACC Championships.

"I'd like to go out as best as I can," Cronk said. "I'd like to equal the performance I gave last year. I've got to go out with a bang."

The women's squad dominated Maryland on all fronts. First year Mirjana Bosevska won the 200 individual medley and broke the school record in the 1000 free with a time of 9:42.84. Cara Lane, also a first year, won the 200 fly, 200 free and 500 free. Her time of 1:59.35 in the butterfly broke both school and ACC records.

The men's team swept the 1000 free, 200 IM and 200 fly with wins from Jamie Grimes, Guy Yimsomruay and Finch, respectively.

Coach Mark Bernardino realized the significance of the win as the women look ahead to next week's ACC Championship.

"This was an incredibly important meet," Bernardino said. "We've been up and down in consistency, and this is the first meet where we put it together. It doesn't mean that we are going to win, but this meet has positioned us well."

Bernardino said he feels the departing seniors have been an integral part of the program.

"This group of seniors has, without question, provided the most leadership, dedication, tenacity and toughness that U.Va. has ever had," he said. "The contributions to the team will be long-lasting."