Supplementing first year with dose of selfishness

VIVID. That's how I would describe my first year at the University. Each memory is so clear and poignant that listening to a certain song or thinking of a certain moment takes me right back. I remember how hot it was on move-in day and how cold it was the day I left for winter break. I remember going to the homecoming football game stubbornly wearing an orange t-shirt instead of a dress and not regretting it one bit. I remember feeling like a nerd when I sat on my bed Thursday nights studying for weekly Hindi 101 quizzes while my roommate would go out on dates. I remember lying outside between morning classes and listening to music on my headphones in the sun. I remember going to my first party and understanding that a big state school really is where you can have the best time at college.

I was fortunate to have a quirky, fun and productive first year, one filled with down-to-earth people and interesting classes. Yet like every rising second-year student, I know my first year was far from perfect. No matter how many columns like these I read or how mentally prepared I thought I was for college, there were still so many surprises.

Now, I know you're not going to cut this column out and sew it into your pocket to remind you how to avoid the mistakes I and many first years kick themselves for. But if you can take away any advice from this article, it should just be to take care of yourself. Me, myself and I. Those are the three most important people you must care about for the next four years. This may sound selfish, but it's not a bad thing. All it means is to remember that ultimately, you are the person you must answer to when you make mistakes, and when your friends and family are gone, you are all you have. If that prospect seems frightening or sad, don't worry. Soon you'll realize that independence and self-sufficiency are beautiful and addictive for college students.

For the next four years, your job is to hone yourself to the best individual you can possibly be. It is a time when, in a way, you're supposed to be selfish. Never again in your life will you have so few responsibilities and so much time just to consider your options and decide how you want your life to be. This is your time to grow as a person and learn about yourself as well as the world you inhabit.

Do the little things. Take some time each day to just be alone -- to reflect, to introspect, to sit around and do nothing. This "me time" is the best way to stay focused and keep your goals in perspective.

Take care of your health. If I had eaten fewer Ramen noodles and hamburgers, taken my vitamins and drank my milk like my mom told me to, I could have wasted less time feeling ill. Get enough sleep -- not cat naps in between classes, but good solid rest as many nights as possible. Respect your body and take good care of it -- exercise, pace yourself and don't take your frustrations out on yourself by being depressed or physically apathetic when you can't control a situation.

Your first year might be an emotionally charged one as you let go of personal baggage, but remember not to dwell on anything or anyone for too long. Always move forward. Academically, it's important to take care of yourself too. In college, there are always people around and if you want to, it's possible to hang out 24 hours a day and accomplish nothing tangible. Keep your priorities straight. While it's definitely important to have fun in college, remember what you want to get out of school. If getting good grades is a priority for you, always keep that in the forefront of your mind. You have a clean slate at a wonderful university, and if you play your cards right, this undergraduate experience can serve as the stepping stone to anything you want. Be consistent about this goal and never lose sight of it if it's one that matters to you. For me, college has never been simply about getting good grades, nor do I think it should be. It should be about finding out what you love and trying your hardest to excel in these areas. College is about the sense of confidence you feel when you work hard and do well. It's not about cramming mindlessly all night, but about thinking about information and relating to it in a personal way. It's about being disciplined enough to concentrate despite distractions.

Everyone has regrets their first year of college. Those who studied hard and did well wish they'd had more fun. Those who just had fun regret throwing away such an opportune time to grow academically before the real pressures of finding a career hit. The one thing that people would agree on is that the first year of college is a wonderfully innocent and exciting time, one that you can look back on and cherish no matter how good or bad it was. You will become a stronger, more mature person by the end of this year, and you will laugh at how young you were in high school. Be true to yourself, stay focused and have fun. I promise you it's going to be a great time.

(Diya Gullapalli is a Cavalier Daily associate editor.)