Football turns down Jefferson-Pilot TV offer

In a surprising move, Virginia passed up an opportunity for the Nov. 18 football game against N.C. State to be televised by Jefferson-Pilot Sports.

The Virginia Athletic Department turned down the offer because Jefferson-Pilot asked for a noon start to the game, which is scheduled to kick off at 2:30 p.m.

"It's very difficult for our fans, and particularly our students for some reason, to get to a noon game," Virginia Athletics Director Terry Holland told The Raleigh News & Observer. "That is asking a lot of them."

Jimmy Rayburn, vice president of operations for Jefferson-Pilot Sports, said ACC schools have the option of turning down home J-P games if they have made one noon TV appearance. Virginia has made two noon J-P appearances this year, against Maryland Oct. 7 and North Carolina Oct. 28.

Jefferson-Pilot will air the Duke-North Carolina game at noon, Nov. 18.

Pulling rank

The Virginia women's basketball team is ranked 15th in the preseason Associated Press poll released Tuesday.

Connecticut is ranked first in the poll after receiving all 42 first-place votes. Tennessee is ranked second, followed by Georgia, Purdue, Duke, Notre Dame, LSU, Rutgers, Louisiana Tech and Iowa State, which rounds out the top 10. Stanford, Old Dominion, Penn State and Oklahoma are the other schools ranked above the Cavaliers.

Virginia is one of four ACC teams ranked in the Top 25. Duke was ranked fifth in the poll, N.C. State 19th and North Carolina 22nd. Clemson received votes, but was not ranked.

Home sweet home

After receiving a first round bye, the Virginia women's soccer team will host a second round game Saturday in the NCAA Soccer Championships against UNC-Greensboro. The game will start at 7:00 p.m. at Kl