Sports In Brief

Two Cavaliers named All-Americans

Two Virginia men's soccer players were named to the 2001 National Soccer Coaches Association of America/adidas All-America teams. Junior midfielder Kyle Martino was selected to the first team and sophomore forward Alecko Eskandarian was selected to the second team. The Cavaliers were two of 35 players chosen for the All-American teams.

Martino, who is going pro, totaled 20 points this season - six goals and eight assists - which was the third highest for Virginia. Three of Martino's goals were game-winners. Martino was named the 2001 ACC player of the year, was a first Team All-ACC selection and was selected to the 2001 ACC All-Tournament team. He was also one of 15 finalists for both the Hermann Trophy Award and the M.A.C. men's soccer player of the year award.

Eskandarian totaled 21 points - a team-high nine goals and three assists - which was second on the team. Five of Eskandarian's goals were game-winners. He was selected first team all-ACC. Eskandarian was also one of 15 finalists for both the Hermann Trophy Award and the M.A.C. men's soccer player of the year award.

Martino and Eskandarian led the Cavaliers to a 17-2-1 overall record, 6-0-0 in the ACC, and an ACC regular season championship.

-By Lindsay Means