Zoll follows Virginia greats

Virginia sophomore point guard Sharneé Zoll wears the number "729" on her shoes in honor of her role model, former Cavalier star Dawn Staley. That number, Virginia's all-time career assist record held by Staley, is a number Zoll hopes eventually to surpass. At 159, she has her work cut out for her.

As a true point guard, the second-year starter from Marlboro, N.J. who possesses leadership skills beyond her years, is given the responsibilities similar to an on-court coach.

"As a point guard, her job is to run the show," Virginia head coach Debbie Ryan said. "She has to set the tone both offensively and defensively. It is her job to direct and to get the right people in the right places."

Zoll understands that she must ensure the involvement of the other players on the court in an active manner.

"Being a point guard, you have to be vocal," Zoll said. "You have to be willing to put yourself out there and have others follow you."

Leadership is especially important for this year's Cavalier squad, which features five freshmen.

"She has to show an awful lot of leadership, so it is draining energy-wise because the first years don't really know where to go