For the love of learning

At the University, the diverse student body not only includesstudents of varying race, gender and sexul orientation but age as well. One notable example is 82-year-old Continuing Studies student Roelof Van Zeefeld Oosaingh, who recently returned to Grounds to pursue a pre-medical degree.

Growing up in Dutch colonies, Oosaingh showed an avid interest in languages. However, coming from a family with a strong medical background he was expected to follow a science-related path, he said.

"My father was a private physician, my grandfather was the commander of the medical services of the Dutch colonial army -- I came from a very medical family," Oosaingh said.

After a fruitful career with General Motors as a linguist in places like South Africa, Europe and Canada, Oosaingh quickly returned to the academic world when he moved to the United States in the 1960s.

"In order to get my doctorate, I left General Motors," said Oosaingh, who has a Ph.D. from the University in social anthropology and sociology.

Oosaingh continued his career with a focus on languages, moving from teaching at various universities to becoming a linguist for the U.S. military under the Foreign Science Intelligence agency. Upon retirement, he needed something new to keep him occupied.

"After I retired 10 years ago, I sat and read and read all of the things I never had time to read before," Oosaingh said. "One day I read in The Cavalier Daily a notice for classes designed for older people; I'm sure they expected someone in their 60s at the oldest, but here I came."

Despite his impressive career as an anthropology professor and a linguist, Oosaingh said he was inclined towards science in order to expand his knowledge.

"Whenever people ask me why I didn't take more anthropology or sociology classes, I tell them I taught those classes for years and years," Oosaingh said. "I want to learn about something new."

Just like any other University student, Oosaingh said there were strenuous aspects in his schoolwork. His difficulties don't lie in misunderstanding the material -- rather, having to differentiate conflicting generations of ideas in chemistry.

"What I remember from 60 years ago is that there was a distinct difference between chemistry and physics, but in class there is constant talk about Einstein," Oosaingh said. "What the heck am I doing here? Chemistry was never bad, but physics was something I was never good at."

Fourth-year teaching assistant Kenny Ott said he observed Oosaingh's struggle to overcome obstacles to learning.

"He learned chemistry 60 years ago, but so much has changed in chemistry," Ott said. "The typical way to teach is the old way and point out why it is wrong, but for him it is harder to relearn because that is what he was taught."

Just as most students, Oosaingh emphasized the need to study hard in order to keep up with the class.

"I sit in class and I'm taking notes like crazy, then I go home and study my notes all over again," Oosaingh said.

Another typical problem Oosaingh described having experienced is personal accountability.

"I can't hold that [struggling with the class] against anyone except myself because I waited to open my book until the class started," Oosaingh said. "It became a bit too much for me; the subject matter had little to do with the chemistry I remember."

In terms of blending in, Oosaingh said he manages to maintain the same student status as everyone else despite the vast discrepancies in age.

"I try to fit in by using a backpack now; I used to go with a bag but it was too heavy," Oosaingh said.

Returning to the University has also reminded Oosaingh of his age, he said.

"I'm not 18 anymore; I'm not even 28 anymore," Oosaingh said. "I am approximately 82; it is not a deadly problem and I am not sitting here sulking, but it is a difficult class and I do need to pay attention."

Despite the difference in age, Oosaingh said he feels comfortable with his surroundings.

"I am totally at ease in class," he said. "That has to do with the fact that I was a teacher; I had an enormous student following because I taught I popular subject."

Overall, Oosaingh's presence in the class makes things interesting, Ott said.

"It's funny walking into class," Ott said. "It is a 400-person lecture class and there are some students who choose to sit next to him because of the interesting stories he tells."

Some fellow CHEM 141 students agree that having Oosaingh in class is a positive experience.

"I think it's cool that he gives up his free time to be here, whatever his reason may be for being in Chemistry," first-year College student Barry Shifrin said.

First-year College student Katie Good agreed.

"It shows he has a real love of learning," Good said. "I hope when I am his age I still have the same desire to learn new things."

While Oosaingh has dedicated a lifetime to his passion for knowledge, he said his decision to re-enroll at the University was not without ambition.

"If and when I completed this degree, the options career-wise would jump," Oosaingh said. "These courses in addition to my doctorate will open more doors for me."

For now, Oosaingh said he was enjoying himself "hugely."