Rojas drives Cavs toward postseason

The men's golf team this spring looks remarkably different than it did a year ago; five of the current eight members of the golf team are either freshmen or transfer students. Even with such a turnover, Virginia coach Bowen Sargent said, the team's performance has been consistent, if not better than in previous seasons.

"More than half of our team is new to this program," Sargent said. "It's been a different transition. Most teams, especially golf teams, you would never see something like that. The future is really bright."

One of Virginia's new golfers is sophomore Steven Rojas, whose first year at Virginia marks his first experience living in the United States. Rojas transferred to Virginia from Switzerland, where he placed first or second in 12 of 20 tournaments in which he played in 2006. Rojas also competed with the Swiss World Amateur Team against South Africa in fall 2007.

"The level [of competition] in Switzerland is not as high," Rojas said. "But still the top players are pretty good. I've played international tournaments in Europe, and that is equivalent to college tournaments here."

Rojas said he wanted to transfer to an American college or university because the college golf programs in the United States are among the best in the world.

"I tried to get over to the States because college golf is really competitive and good," Rojas said. "I sent out letters to all the coaches. Of course most coaches do not know the European players, but the good thing is that coach Sargent knows the Swiss national coach."

He said contacting Sargent by letter started the communication process that landed him at Virginia. Since arriving in Charlottesville, Sargent said his experiences with the team since his arrival have been overwhelmingly positive, both on the course and off, helping him to adjust to the American college lifestyle.

"The level of the team is really high," Rojas said, noting that the team practices six days a week as Birdwood Golf Course. "I used to practice on my own, and now we practice together, and it helps all of us to push each other and to improve. It is a lot easier to practice a lot because it is easier to get motivated."

Although he has not surpassed his level of play from his golfing days in Switzerland, Rojas said he has been satisfied with his performance in some of the tournaments.

"My personal best was reached in Switzerland," Rojas said. "But I have come close to playing very well here. The first two tournaments of the season I played really well."

He noted his experiences with American golf have been different from those with European golf, even down to differing grass types.

"I've learned to play on different golf courses," Rojas said. "American golf courses are different -- the layout, the way they are designed. Most are longer, you have to hit the ball further."

Rojas and the rest of the team will have to play to the best of their ability in their next several tournaments; the team hopes to make the NCAA Regional Championship at the end of the spring season, which is played among the top 54 teams in the NCAA as well as 27 conference champions. The team is currently ranked No. 76 in the nation by Golfweek.

Earning a spot in the regional tournament "is looking tenuous at the moment," Sargent said. "We are sitting on the bubble so our playing in the next three tournaments is going to determine whether we make it to regionals or not."

There are six tournaments in the spring season, and the team's performance in both the fall and spring seasons determines whether the Cavaliers will make it to the regional tournament. So far the team has played three tournaments, finishing third in the Seminole Intercollegiate, first in the Palmas Del Mar Collegiate and 15th in the National Invitational, a disappointing finish for the team, Rojas said. The next tournament will be next weekend in Wallace, N.C.

Rojas said he is confident the team will make it to the regional tournament.

"We started well this spring and if we continue playing the way we are, we will go," Rojas said.

Sargent said sometimes he worries about international players and how they will adjust, but noted Rojas has not appeared to have any difficulty assimilating.

"He's really disciplined and a hard worker, so people naturally gravitate toward people like him," Sargent said. "He leads by example."

Sargent said he sees a bright future for Rojas on the Virginia team.

"He is certainly going to be a big part of our future at Virginia," Sargent said. "As a second-year he has a lot of golf in front of him. We are counting on him being a huge part of our success in the next two and a half years."

Sargent also is not ruling out the possibility of Rojas moving beyond the collegiate level.

Rojas "certainly has the skills, desire and ability to play at next level but there are things he needs to work on and he knows that," Sargent noted.

Rojas said now that he has gotten to Virginia, he knows it is up to him to get where he wants to be.

"U.Va. has offered me a great chance to achieve what I want," Rojas said. "It is now on me to play as well as possible and to get to the level to play on the PGA Tour"