Flu epidemic grips Virginia

Student Health Director James Turner reports 115 flu cases this semester; Virginia sees “widespread” activity

It is flu season at the University.

University Student Health Director James Turner said Student Health has seen more than 115 flu cases this semester, and Virginia is the first state this year to report widespread flu activity.

“We’re following a typical influenza season,” said Curtis Allen, spokesperson for the Center for Disease and Control. “It’s beginning to increase throughout the country.”

A “widespread” designation, as opposed to the less severe regional or localized outbreaks, indicates that the virus is circulating throughout the state, Allen said. He added that New Jersey has also reported widespread flu cases, and numerous states have regional activity.

This designation, however, does not mean that Virginia is experiencing more flu activity compared to other states, said Michelle Peregoy, a spokesperson for the Virginia Department of Health.

“Only a handful of states do their analysis the way we do,” Peregoy said.

The “sensitive surveillance” reporting system, in which health care providers enter the number of patients diagnosed with the flu into a state health database at the end of each day, gives state officials the statistics immediately.

“We might not have more activity than other states but we know more quickly,” Peregoy said.

Although the exact number of cases in the state is unknown because many people are not tested for the flu, Peregoy said, the entire state has been affected.

“There aren’t any regions of the state that are spared,” Peregoy said.

Turner said University students are no exception, especially because fraternity and sorority rush recently ended.

“It really spreads because of all the close contact,” Turner said.

Although between 3000 and 3500 students received the flu shot through Student Health, Turner said about 200 doses of the vaccination are still available.

“It still is not too late,” Turner said, adding that it takes about two weeks for the vaccine to become effective.

Symptoms of the virus include fever, sore throat and cough, Turner said.

To prevent catching the virus, Allen advised students to wash their hands and avoid sick people. Turner noted that for those already infected by the virus, the Student Health pharmacy now stocks the anti-viral inhaler medication Relenza because one strain of the flu is resistant to the previously prescribed Tamiflu.