Men's soccer travels to N.C. State to wrap up regular season

The Virginia men’s soccer team wraps up the regular season Thursday evening on the road, as the squad travels to Raleigh to face ACC foe N.C. State.

The Cavaliers (8-6-2, 2-4-1 ACC) enter the matchup on a three-game unbeaten streak, having most recently played Boston College to a hard-fought and scoreless draw last Friday. Although the team was only able to earn one point through the draw, they controlled play and tempo throughout, finishing the game with a 12-9 shot and 6-2 corner advantage.

With the tie, Virginia clinched a .500 or better record on the season, automatically thrusting the squad into contention for its 32nd consecutive NCAA Tournament bid.

The Wolfpack (10-8-0, 1-6) also enter Thursday’s contest on the upswing after a 3-2 victory against Virginia Military Institute Monday evening. Under trying weather conditions induced by Hurricane Sandy, N.C. State went up 3-0 early in the game and managed to hold on for the narrow win after the Keydets came surging back.

The Wolfpack have played a robust 18 games so far this season — the most in the ACC — and average a respectable 1.72 goals a game, good for third in conference.

Leading the way for N.C. State is junior Alex Martinez. Martinez, a creative attacking midfielder who transferred from High Point before this season, is currently second in the ACC with 28 points, including 10 goals.

Cavalier senior forward and tri-captain Will Bates has also tallied 10 goals this year, tied with Martinez for second in the conference — although Bates has accomplished the feat in two fewer games.

The ACC tournament is set to begin Tuesday, Nov. 6.

Editor’s Note: Scheduling complications from Hurricane Sandy prevented The Cavalier Daily from securing interviews for this preview.