Slow Food highlights benefits of local and organic produce

CIO encourages students to think about the long-term effects of what they eat

<p>Members of Slow Foods encourage students to eat local, organic food that will have positive impacts on their health and the surrounding community. </p>

Members of Slow Foods encourage students to eat local, organic food that will have positive impacts on their health and the surrounding community. 

There is no denying college students often prioritize convenience over quality, establishing fast food as a necessary staple of the 18- to 22-year-old diet. One university group says: not so quick.

Slow Food, a Contracted Independent Organization dedicated to emphasizing the importance of healthy eating, aims to show students their food choices affect not only their physical health, but also the community around them.

Fourth-year College student Rebecca Hinch, the group’s president, said eating choices affect more than just one’s digestive system.

“I think [our message is] important anywhere,” Hinch said. “Not enough people are aware that what they choose to eat really affects their economy and how their environment is used.”

Hinch said students are not typically motivated to eat healthily if they have to go out of their way — making Slow Food is an important addition to Grounds.

“[Slow Food is] important in a student environment where people are so focused on convenience and getting what’s fast and easy,” Hinch said.

Third-year College student Carly Buckholz, a Slow Food executive board member, said being in Charlottesville has many advantages when tackling issues of food.

“There’s such a large local food movement here and there are so many great resources,” Buckholz said. “We’re so fortunate to be around so many local farms and so many agricultural places that want to get their food to larger institutions and to the giant body of students here.”

By forming relationships with Charlottesville farms and eateries, Slow Food members hope to encourage a better outlook on student living through home-cooked, organic meals.

“[Slow Food is] promoting health, promoting local businesses, promoting a more simplistic lifestyle and more self-sufficiency and independence,” said third-year College student Emery Kington, a Slow Food executive board member. “It can make a big difference in terms of happiness and how you live every single day.”

In addition to supporting local businesses and aiding individuals in their daily lives, Slow Food encourages students to think about how the decisions they make now will impact their lives in the future.

“This is a very important stage in our lives when we are developing habits," Buckholz said. "A lot of us will keep for years to come, so it’s important to start implementing those good decisions into your diet as a 20-year-old,”

Every few weeks, Slow Food organizes events to promote its message and involve more students on Grounds. One of these upcoming events is a fall harvest, during which members will serve kombucha — a fermented tea which is said to have positive effects on the body’s digestive system — among other locally-grown foods. The CIO also plans to screen a documentary later this fall.

Ultimately, Slow Food’s significance lies in its ability to underscore the benefits of eating well in a place where many young people may not think about the long-term effects of what they put in their bodies.

“There are a lot of people who come from backgrounds where they don’t necessarily have access to local food and fresh produce,” Buckholz said. “Most people don’t think to go right to the farmer’s market or the tiny shops and support local businesses. Slow Food really brings that to mind for a lot of students.”