​Hohenshelt resigns as volleyball coach

<p>Head volleyball coach Dennis Hohenshelt has resigned&nbsp;after five years at the helm.&nbsp;</p>

Head volleyball coach Dennis Hohenshelt has resigned after five years at the helm. 

Dennis Hohenshelt has resigned as volleyball coach, acting athletics director Jon Oliver announced in a release Thursday. Hohenshelt compiled a 69-88 record in his five seasons at the helm of the program.

“I’ve appreciated the opportunity to be a part of the University of Virginia athletics department and to run the volleyball program over the last five years,” Hohenshelt said. “I would like to thank all of the student-athletes who have been part of Virginia volleyball during my time at U.Va. and the alumni of the program whose support has been tremendous.”

Hohenshelt was the first assistant coach for the Penn State women’s team for six seasons before athletics director Craig Littlepage hired him in 2012. He won four consecutive NCAA titles with the Nittany Lions from 2007-10. He previously served as Penn State’s men’s assistant coach for 10 seasons, leading the team to the national championship match in 2006. Virginia had three consecutive winning seasons from 2013-15 under Hohenshelt. However, after an 18-13 (10-10 ACC) record in 2015, the Cavaliers underwhelmed in 2016, going 7-25 (4-16 ACC).

Associate head coach Aaron Smith will serve as interim head coach as the Cavaliers begin a national search for their next coach. Smith joined the Virginia volleyball program in April 2012 and played for Hohenshelt at Penn State from 2004-06.

Hohenshelt’s contract was set to expire Jan. 25, 2017.