No. 11 men’s lacrosse takes on No. 20 North Carolina at Chapel Hill

The Cavaliers travel to face the Tar Heels in a critical conference matchup

<p>Sophomore attackman Michael Kraus has been particularly dominant for the Cavaliers this year, with 59 points on the year — 32 goals and 27 assists.</p>

Sophomore attackman Michael Kraus has been particularly dominant for the Cavaliers this year, with 59 points on the year — 32 goals and 27 assists.

No. 11 Virginia returns to conference play this Saturday with a clash against No. 20 North Carolina.

After three-consecutive contests at Klöckner, the Cavaliers (8-3, 0-2 ACC) will travel to Chapel Hill this Saturday to take on the struggling Tar Heels (6-5, 0-1 ACC) in a bid to pick up their first ACC victory in four years.

Saturday marks the 82nd all-time meeting between Virginia and North Carolina, and the two teams have faced off every year since 1964. While the Cavaliers lead the series 50-31, they’ve dropped four of their last five games against the Tar Heels.

Virginia comes into the game off a crucial victory against Richmond, 14-10. The three-goal fourth quarter effort by sophomore attackman Michael Kraus propelled the Cavaliers to victory, after they struggled through the first three quarters.

Kraus has led Virginia’s attack this season with 52 points on the year, 29 goals and 23 assists. Star sophomore midfielder Dox Aitken has also had a dominant year with 34 points.

Sophomore midfielder and faceoff specialist Justin Schwenk has also been critical for the Cavaliers this year, leading the ACC in faceoff percentage (62.3) and ground balls won (66). Schwenk has done a great job filling the void of junior midfielder Ryan Conrad, who the Cavaliers lost to injury earlier in the season against Syracuse.

Virginia comes into this contest hungry to pick up a conference victory, in what would be a crucial win for their morale and postseason aspirations.

North Carolina, losers of their last five-consecutive games, are in desperate need of a win to resurrect their season. The Tar Heels, however, put on an inspiring performance in their last contest against a strong Duke team, losing by only one goal in Durham.

Of their five losses, only one came at home. It will be no easy task for Virginia to end their ACC drought at Kenan Stadium.

Faceoff begins at 6 p.m. Saturday from Chapel Hill.