A guide to spring break eats

Eating is one of the best parts of traveling

<p>If you're heading somewhere warm for spring break, try a refreshing pina colada!&nbsp;</p>

If you're heading somewhere warm for spring break, try a refreshing pina colada! 

Wherever you’re venturing off to this spring break, there are sure to be some staple foods you must try. After all, trying new restaurants and dishes is probably one of the best parts about traveling. Whether you will be roughing it in Joshua Tree National Park on an Alternative Spring Break trip or laying on the beaches of Cancun, you must knock a new food off your bucket list before you come back to the University. 

For the city slickers out there who are heading to Manhattan this spring break, make sure to check out the food truck scene. New York City is known for its overwhelming amount of food trucks. This being said, there are some that stand out more than others. If you are feeling boujee and are craving something other than the average run-of-the-mill hot dog truck, definitely seek out the Wafels & Dinges truck for their iconic Belgian waffles. Especially if you are craving sweets, stopping by this bright yellow food truck is a necessity for any foodie visiting Manhattan.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from New York City, there are many University students that will be spending their spring breaks out in nature. Whether it is on an ASB trip or just a backcountry excursion of your own, there are so many ways to get creative with your Coleman propane-fueled stove. Camp cooking, in my opinion, is an art. While on a backcountry trip in high school, I was introduced to the wonders of the “Snickerdilla,” a flavorful and innovative dessert option for the outdoors. The Snickerdilla consists of a tortilla folded in half with Snickers stuffed inside. It is then grilled on a pan like a quesadilla. Once the Snickers have melted into a chocolate-caramel-peanut masterpiece, your Snickerdilla is complete. 

As spring break rolls around for the Hoos, a mass exodus to the all-inclusive resorts of Punta Cana begins. Often, the “all inclusive” nature of some resorts leads to a diet consisting of watered-down drinks and border-line starvation. If you're lucky enough to experience the wonders of Punta Cana, I would also recommend trying authentic dishes, like the chimichurri hamburger. If you happen to be in the former situation described, your diet for the week may consist of nachos and pina coladas — but hey, nothing wrong with that. 

If you end up on the beach in Miami, there is a very obvious answer to the food you must try. Miami is known for its Cuban sandwiches, or Cubanos, which are similar to grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Cubanos can be found in restaurants and food trucks all over Miami. Some of the most well-known locations for Cuban sandwiches are Enriqueta’s Sandwich Shop and Versailles. 

Lastly, since the University’s spring break falls on the early side of March this year, many students will be heading to the slopes for their spring break. Whether it's Breckenridge, Colo., Big Sky, Mont. or Park City, Utah, there are some go-to ski snacks that will be perfect for your trip. If you will be skiing in Breckenridge, be sure to check out the on-mountain food at The Maggie. Known for their breakfast skillets and mini donuts, The Maggie has snacks that will surely keep you warm throughout the day. You also can’t go snowboarding or skiing anywhere without at least one round of hot chocolate with a ridiculous amount of whipped cream — if you’re more of a coffee person, though, you do you. 

There are sure to be many more destinations for University spring-breakers, such as visiting friends who are abroad in Europe, making a West Coast trip to California or exploring the mystery that is NoVa. Wherever you end up for spring break, even if it is Charlottesville, make sure you try a new food to make your spring break even better!