Virginia football ranked No. 25 in most recent AP Top 25 Poll

Cavaliers surging after strong start to the season

<p>After kicking off the 2019 season with a pair of comfortable wins, Virginia football is ranked in the week three AP Top 25 Poll.</p>

After kicking off the 2019 season with a pair of comfortable wins, Virginia football is ranked in the week three AP Top 25 Poll.

After kicking off the 2019 season with a pair of comfortable wins, Virginia football is ranked in the week three AP Top 25 Poll released by the Associated Press Sunday afternoon.

With multiple ranked teams falling over the weekend, Virginia (2-0, 1-0 ACC) leapfrogged the likes of Stanford and Nebraska into the No. 25 position in the AP Top 25. 

The team appeared briefly in the AP Poll last season after dominating North Carolina and improving to 6-2, but was dropped from the Top 25 the next week following a loss to Pittsburgh.

The undefeated Cavaliers have started the season impressively with a big revenge win over Pittsburgh (1-1, 0-1 ACC) followed by a massive win against in-state foe William & Mary (1-1, 0-0 CAA). Virginia defeated both teams by an average margin of 25.5 points — a testament to the Cavaliers’ outstanding play so far this season.

Virginia is averaging over 400 yards of total offense per game while holding opponents to just 228 yards. The Cavaliers have scored 10 touchdowns during their first two games compared to just four scored against them.

While Virginia’s offense and defense are both playing at a high level, the Cavaliers will have to continue to step up on both sides of the ball if they hope to remain in the AP Top 25.

In the coming weeks, Virginia will play tougher competition in Florida State, No. 7 Notre Dame and Miami. In previous years, the Cavaliers have struggled to live up to expectations after getting ranked, so Virginia will have a lot to prove during its most difficult stretch of the season.